Head Butting Betta!! What..

Papillon

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2003
Montclair, NJ
Visit site
HEAD BUTTING BETTA!!! What....

in the world does that mean?????? He swims around fast, then comes up the glass and starts headbutting it, like he wants to get out or something...

I just changed a lot of the water but he was also doing this beforehand.... I don't understand this.... I am paranoid about Ick and so far don't see any evidence of this...

Lancelot is in a 2 gallon, but I am seriously thinking of putting him in a 6 or 12 gallon tank.... My dream of a 29 gallon has to go out the window for now, till I get a job...

Help any thoughts??!!:eek:

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Ya,

My betta Finchy who is sick right now :(, does the same sort of thing. He flares at the side of the tank and pushes against it. I think I figured out why, because he usually does it in the evenings.

When I have his tank light on (2gal acrylic hex) and it is a little darker outside, he sees a faint reflection of himself and 'flares-up' to defend his turf. If I turn off the light, the reflection disappears and he backs down.

What color is Lancelot? Is he bright or dark? Finchy is flame-red when he is healthy and a real brute.

Hope this helps!

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Sounds lovely!

Did you get (is it Lacelot) him at a pet store, chain or home-breeder?

Oh something else, when Finchy seems me (the caretaker) he moves slowly and checks me out. When Finchy sees my wife (food godess), he gets really excited and dances around (when he is not sick anyway).

Is your betta just excited to see you, or does he flare?

Papillon

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2003
Montclair, NJ
Visit site
No he doesn't flare at me anymore. everytime he sees me, he comes out from where he is to look at me, and then sometimes "plays hide and seek". I think he is beginning to associate me with food, especially in the morning and at night. He is hiding "in" his rock at the moment, just floats there for the longest time... It's cute, but I hope it doesn't mean anything else...

He ate well earlier..

M

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Sorry, I meant does he flare when he 'butts' his head?

I think the rock thing is normal, just watch to see if he starts moving around in a jerky fashion, or for any white fluf or spots.

The past 26 hours I have been tending to Finchy, who was just fine and then got a what looks like a bacteria infection. Cold temperature drops and stress seem to cause bacteria infections in bettas.

Keep em warm, keep em loved I guess!