He won't eat!!!!!

Jan 17, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I have a young green frog that I raised from a tadpole that I found in a feeder fish aquarium (Yeah, I know he's not a fish, but he's still predatory, right?:rolleyes: )
Anyway, I have him in a beautifully set up half-and-half aquarium with filtration, a bubbler, and everything. As a means of feeding him, I put a nice sized "school" of feeder guppies that are busily making more and more and more and more and more tasty little fry. Problem is, he won't touch the fish and I'm too broke to get crickets for him. (Plus I don't even have a place to put the crickets anyway)

Anybody have any ideas how I can get him to eat the ever-growing pack of fry? Or any other live food I can feed him that don't cost anything?

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
North American green frog? wierd, mine go after anything. i feed mine clean earthworms. is his tank cold?, if so he's probably in a half-hibernation trance. is he inactive?they can go months without eating and still be healthy when hibernating.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I can't feed mine worms seeing as the ground is a bit frozen here...but no, I don't think his tank is that cold. He even has his own light (subdued, yes, as frogs don't like a lot of light) but it still keeps his tank warm enough. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't be getting so many flocks and flocks of feeder fry! :rolleyes:

OH!!! My mother decided to be charitable and bought me a dozen small crickets...he LOVES those!!! :)

Thanks anyway!

Jan 17, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
P.S. You have a snapping turtle?!!! COOL!!! I feed snappers at my grandparents' lake that have shells (and this is just theSHELL, here) that are over a foot long! They look like primeval monsters... they are incredibly cool, though, if rather freaky at times when they snap the dead fish right out of your hands...I personally have never tried this. Just my crazy cousins! :rolleyes:

adamj

Large Fish
Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Not to be mean but as a rule of thumb its not wise to keep animals when you cant afford proper care.

However, you might want to propose to your LFS trading them your feeders for crickets.

Also, if you can, get some cricket dust. It might provide extra vitamines and minerals for your frog during those times which you cannot provide him food.

Have you tried taking a few of those guppies out of the water and putting them on the land for them to flop around? Amphibians and reptiles do not have higher evolved visual ability, they're mostly excited by movement. But im not an amphibian/reptile expert. Just some ideas :)

Worse case senario, find a better home for the little guy :)