Harlequin Rasbora Displaying/Breeding?

Feb 21, 2011
Hi, I've been watching my Harlequin Rasbs do some kind of flaring. I currently have three (there were more but one of them died of diesease and the other mysteriously disappeared ....:confused:), two of them keep flaring and displaying against each other, it seems, and one just kinda swims by them and watches.
Would the flarers be both males, and the watcher a female? I'm starting to think so, because it almost looks like when one of the males turns away a bit, the other swims to the supposed female.
I still haven't found a sure-fire way to tell apart males from females but this would be one.
This also kind of looks like how my White Cloud's flare. Of course, I can tell their genders apart, and it's always Male with Female, never both the same gender.
Also, my male platies flare at each other, almost in competition, for females. Could this be the same for the Rasbs?

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
As you already know, fish compete for mates, so you are probably right that the flarers are males and the other is a female. One way to tell them apart is the females will generally be a bit larger and rounder then the males, especially when veiwed from above. Is this the case for your harlys? Hope I helped!