guppy help

beccam

New Fish
Jan 31, 2015
Please can someone help me my new guppies stay at the surface they were fine swimming all over for first 5 hours after I got them now they just stay put.

They all eating fine can't see any obvious signs of sickness and the water all tests fine

I have neons in same tank and there all fine so I am confused as to what is wrong with them they been like this for 24 hours now.

Local aquarium says I shouldn't worry and guppies sometimes stay at surface.but I can't help but worry for all 6 of them to be doing it

I've had guppies before and always seemed to be active little fish I can't help but feel something is wrong and I can't work out what it is

Any help would be much appreciated

I have attached a photo sorry camera not very good in this lighting.

20150131_185219.jpg

Last edited:

beccam

New Fish
Jan 31, 2015
They are all pooing!

Is there enough oxygenation?

When you say water tests fine, do you have specific numbers ( amonia and nitrites)?

There is enough oxygenation I have a filter and air pump

I don't have all the specific numbers as shop tested it for me yesterday but i remember they did say nitrite was 0 so was amiona they did say however I have a ph of 6.5 which is a bit low but nothing to worry about and that it was fine for guppies

I woke up this morning to 1 dead guppy and 1 missing guppy.

beccam

New Fish
Jan 31, 2015
Can I ask could it be stress related the shop I got them from said I had to come back in morning for them as they had just been delivered and have been in back of van for 5-6 hour so we're cold and needed warming up so he couldn't let me take them till next morning

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Could be related to changing water conditions too quickly - ie warming up to quickly if they were delivered in cold water.

It wouldn't hurt anything to change out some water, to dilute anything that may be in your water contributing to the issue.

beccam

New Fish
Jan 31, 2015
Could be related to changing water conditions too quickly - ie warming up to quickly if they were delivered in cold water.

It wouldn't hurt anything to change out some water, to dilute anything that may be in your water contributing to the issue.
I did change 25% of the water as soon as I realised something was wrong even though they said my water test fine.

We'll all my guppies are dead now just neons left who look fine

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
You've got to mail-order yourself an API master test kit. The kit will last you for years. Like said, the fish could be stressed from storage/transport or acclimation issues. Keep the water pristine and a relatively constant temperature and feed lightly until they perk up.