Guppy Breeding Question

Sep 22, 2009
I had my pregnant female guppy alone in my breeding tank, it was very obvious when she was about to give birth, as she started swimming around very fast, and hovering round the heater, although she couldnt keep still for long. She had from what we can see, about 10 fry, although some may be hiding and / or eaten.

However, after giving birth, my female didnt become calmer, she continued to dart around the tank like crazy, even with the lights off...she darted around all day yesterday, all last night, and this morning, and now we have just found her dead...

Is this normal? Could something have caused her to become stressed after birth and swim around to the point of exhaustion?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
If you moved her into isolation then left her there, she could have been very stressed out. It's best to leave pregnant females in their normal tanks to give birth, no isolation nets, etc, otherwise you risk stressing the females out.

Sep 22, 2009
If you moved her into isolation then left her there, she could have been very stressed out. It's best to leave pregnant females in their normal tanks to give birth, no isolation nets, etc, otherwise you risk stressing the females out.
We left her in her normal tank and we removed all the others.*twirlysmi

Sep 22, 2009
Not sure on her age really, shes bigger than all the others we have, she was already pregnant when we got her from the shop, as usual lol

Out of the 9 fry I have, in a tank with an oto, and no fish to eat them, how many roughly do you think should survive?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
If youre saying that you have just that atto and only the fry in the tank, then the survival really depends on the water conditions, and the amount of food, as well as the tipe of food that you feed them. if you leave them to fend for themselves, and survive on algae, then you can expect less to survive (theoretically) since they have to compete for it with the otto. the otto generally shouldnt eat them.

crush up food (flakes) in a plastic bag and use a pipet to squirt the food into a place where you know the fry like to hang out at. or just feed them some fry food mixes available at lfs.