guppies guppies everwhere

Franky099

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
southern Ohio
www.aquabid.com
My yellow snake skin guppy had about 40 fry today...probably more....hard to count the little guys.  Now....If only my bettas would take a lesson from those guppies!!

Shane,
I've been trying your ideas.  I put the 2 spawning tanks next to each other.  The males reacted like normal....except STILL no nests.  Last night I put a female in a jar where they both could see her....still no nests!!!  AHHHHHH!!!!!  My two favorite males must be duds!  :(

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
ahhhh, I love guppies....

I would just be understanding of you bettas.  If they are not in the mood to mate, they are not in the mood to mate.  Just like people....  Make sure the water in your tanks is still, they don't like bumpy water.  Give them time, don't mess with them.  If your moving the tanks around all the time your stressing them out.  Leave them alone for a few weeks.  Keep the water temp up.  Keep your hands, nets, water changing supplies, water chemesty products, out of the water at all cost.  Have fun enjoy. :)    ;)

Oct 22, 2002
Try making them flair to a mirror but they probably won't. The only other option i can see is to put in a bubblenest from another (third male) this my stimulate the male. Sometimes a bubblenest is not needed and he builds it as they breed but i have never had this problem.The only thing you can do is kep on trying :(

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
Just leave them alone, that is the best advice I can give.  Upsetting the male buy makeing him feel is turff is being invaded is not going to make him feel he is in a safe place to build his nest.  Have you tried putting the female in with the male before he builds the nest? It won't hurt.  

Franky099

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
southern Ohio
www.aquabid.com
I might try putting the female in there without the nest.  This is a one of a kind female, and I sure dont want to loose her after loosing my two prize males!!  I have used the black water extract.  See Shane....I told you I have tried EVERYTHING!!!!

Franky099

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
southern Ohio
www.aquabid.com
IF I were lucky enough to get one of my other males to blow a nest....how do I go about moving it??  Or should I just move the male to the other tank??  That would be to stressfull on him wouldnt it??  
AAAAHHHHHH!!!!  Maybe you could just send me some of your new fry and I could tell myself that MY bettas made them, LOL

Oct 22, 2002
You could move the betta but its easier to take a spoon and gently lift sections of the nest out and carefully place them in the other tank. hopefully he should get his butt in gear and think its his or at least he has a foundation for when you put the female in :)

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
[glow=Green,strength,width]Franky099- My cousin's bettas breed all the time and she said to just give them time. Hers took a while as well. She tried everthing and everyghing but nothing worked until one day the male finally built a nest. So my advice is just give it time. I think maybe I should try and start some bettas! Sounds great. I've had them but never bred them.... something else to try and get the money for!

Ryan ;D[/glow]

The best pair of Fighters I had for breeding were from wild stock, they had been forgotten and neglected in a store that was closing down.
I purchased all the stock and equipment,when I came to strip everything out, there at the back of the store was a very old tank with a breeding pair, the heater was not working, the filter was completely choked, and there in the tank was a bubble nest 6 inches across, in the gravel there must have been 50 fry, they came home and carried on breeding as if nothing had happened.
Just goes to show that doing it by the book is not always the right way. 8)