guppies and peacock gudgeon

Oct 4, 2011
Maine
I have a 40 Gallon tank with one male and one female guppy and one male one female peacock gudgeon or rainbow goby, I have read a lot about the guppy and found that I need at least two more females so the male doesn't pester her all the time and that is fine, but I noticed that on my gudgeon one of them had a yellow patch on the belly and it was big and white and the male didn't.. I did A LOT of research and found that I have one male and one female, and that the female is about ready to spawn. He tummy is yellow and big.. I am wondering about how long will she have the eggs inside of her before her and the male go into the tubes to lay them? If anyone knows it would be helpful. I am watching very closely but it would help if I knew a time table :) I have the proper tubes in the tank for them, and I have dedicated a separate tank for the daddy and the eggs so the other fish won't eat them.. I'm all set up, I was just wondering about how long before she spawns.. Thanks! *SUPERSMIL

Feb 27, 2009
If you are wanting to save the spawn, I would recommend that you move them to that tank now, and then remove the female back to the original tank. Far easier to move one fish than eggs plus its guardian.

As far as when, only the fish will know that. That's like asking a newlywed couple when they will have a baby. Once pregnant (or in the case of the Peacock Gudgeon, once the eggs are laid and fertilized), there is a timetable of when the young will be forthcoming, but not until then.