guess who followed me home?

Now I just have to share.....guess who followed me home tonight? Of course, I popped into the lfs for bloodworms, enriched Brine Shrimp etc for the spoiled piggies. Also to see about getting paid for the african cichlid babies. While there of course I strolled over to the tank with the wild discus, and as usual, they rushed the glass to greet me.

So Mike and Shane are bagging the frozen food for me, and I say "Hey, You need that tankspace for new discus, those guys aren't fattening up all that well, and there's a CAE in there with them.....how about I take them off your hands for $150 (these fish are ratailed for $110 EACH)?" They give me the raised eyebrow and come back with $180 and they're yours.......KIDDING The talk gets a little more serious, and I ask if Brenda, the fish dept manager is around...so off I go....pay for the food, and mention that I was arguing with the guys .....and offer $180 for the 3 fish. SHE SAID YES!!!!!!! I think she realised that they just were NOT going to sell at $110 each, and would rather make a little money off them and free up a tank....so they came home with me!
the link to see the lpic is here

god.....they are beautiful! As they have been there 4 months and were medicated for internal parasites when they first arrived, and eat like pigs, they are now in the 55g with the other discus....and have coloured up already!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I just this minute hand fed the gang. Seems like the new ones have realised that all cubes held by me are FOOD, including things OTHER than bloodworms. Man, it is SUCH a cool feeling to have them all pecking and playing and lying in my fingers while eating. The German Blues and Bolivian Rams get in on the action too.

Red, as I mentioned in the initial post, they have been in a tank alone at the lfs, separate filter, etc, treated with clout and hex-a-mit for internals while there. The water at the lfs in their tank was 88, my tank is at 88. They were eating at the lfs, I had actually fed them a couple of time. Their feces is and was a good "discus log", normal in colour and girth. They were also fed garlic a couple of days a week while there. So as far as I'm concerned the lfs did my Quarantine for me. I know I"m taking a chance, but I think in this case the risks are minimal. That was one of the reasons I went ahead and negotiated for them, as the 175 and 137 aren't set up yet, so the only tank they could possibly go in was the current 55 discus tank.

Nobody at all is stressed, and the cobalt blue and one of the heckels are practically inseparable. They are pecking and picking at the gravel, behaving as discus should. The green (the shy one) actually ate brine shrimp out of my hand tonight, so I take that as they are settled in.

Oct 22, 2002
Edmonton
photos.yahoo.com
Just making sure Luv! I hope it works out! I did the same thing just 2 months ago. Buy 12 Red Turqs for a great price, $10cdn. each! I had no choice but put them which 2 of my existing fish! No problems but never again until I quaratine them properly. Not that I do not trust my lfs but better to be safe than lose $300 of discus!

I have a excellant quaratine method. 99% garaented disease free. PM me if you are interested Luv!