GSP not eating...HELP

xsgyrl9

New Fish
Jun 5, 2007
hi i'm new at this and i just got a gsp about a month and a half ago. i put him in a baby biorb, he's the size of a nickel and when i first put him in the biorb he was really happy, eating well, and thriving. but the last week and a half he hasn't eaten anything and he's changing from bright green to a dark dark green and back again. i put some small snails in there and he used to really love frozen krill. but he hasn't eaten either one. i also tried frozen blood worms. and although he hasn't eaten he has a tiny bulge a little lower than where his stomach is. please help!!!

May 22, 2007
also, what salinity are you running this at?

The bulge could be constipation, which would explain why he's not eating.

I'd suggest a 50% water change, and make sure you dissolve your salt in the new water before adding it to the tank.

How big is he now? That tank is much to small for all but a juvenile GSP.

xsgyrl9

New Fish
Jun 5, 2007
he's about the size of a nickel...the water was cycled and the levels are all fine because i just got it tested. if he's constipated what do i do? is the baby biorb still too small if he's that small?

May 22, 2007
Constipation

Some fish are more susceptible to constipation than others. Usually fish with more compressed bodies like angelfish and silver dollars. Symptoms are loss of appetite and swelling of the body. The cause is almost always diet.
Usually, with a change of diet, the condition rights itself. But in stubborn cases try dried food that has been soaked in medicinal paraffin oil. Glycerol or castor oil may also be used. If the diet is changed on a regular basis and live foods offered occasionally this condition may never occur.

I've seen it once before in a swordtail that we thought for sure was pregnant, (ended up being constipation) we removed her to an isolation tank with water from the main tank thinking she was going to give birth. After a few days but she eventually took a huge pooh that was very stringy and was good as new after that.

xsgyrl9

New Fish
Jun 5, 2007
so should i put him in a smaller tank so that he has direct access to food because he kind of watches the food float by and doesn't seem interested by it. then it sink and then he can't reach it. he used to attack snails as soon as i put them in but today he doesn't even look at them.

May 22, 2007
NO! Don't move him right now, that was something we did because we didn't want her fry to get eaten by other fish. There's no point in further stressing him out right now. I'd try putting in a google search on "constipation aquarium" and see what you can find. It may well work itself out, but I'm sure there's some way to speed things along...

You could try throwing some ex-lax in there? J/K

You know what an accountant does when he's constipated?

He works it out with a pencil.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
It's probably internal parasites, puffers get those a lot since they are wild-caught fish. Do a search here on MFT on "internal parasites" and you'll find all kinds of info. To clear them from his system you need to treat/soak his food in medicine.

I don't think I know what a baby biorb is, but it sounds too small for a GSP - they need large tanks eventually (I know you said it was a baby right now). Is it heated? Are you adding pre-mixed marine salt to his water? If so, what's the salinity?

Limi310 knows her GSP stuff, so I'd take whatever advise she gives you :)
the water was cycled and the levels are all fine because i just got it tested.
The "water" isn't where the cycling is taking place - it's the biological media/gravel/ornaments, etc where the beneficial bacteria is growing/populating.

Edit holy crap I just goggled a biorb and it's waaaaaaay not right for a GSP. I'd take your GSP back to the LFS unless you can invest in at least a 20 gallon tank, heater, quality filter, marine salt, etc. Those are barely decent for bettas...much less GSP's :(
Is this like what you have?

Last edited:

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Ditto F8Fan's advice.

Are you sure your nickel sized GSP isn't a dwarf puffer? I've never seen GSP's for sale nickel sized.

You really need to read up on the nitrogen cycle, otherwise you will be murdering any fish you intend to keep.