Green Spotted puffer

Dec 1, 2005
ok i think i am going crazy, my puffer seemed to have turned totaly green on the top half, with no spot, is this possiable? Also when i walk in the room his belly turns black, after about 1 min or so, it turns back the perfect white, why does he do this?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
How long have you had it? How big is it?
What kind of water is it in (FW or brackish?)
What are you feeding it? Is it eating or showing interest?
What are your water params?
Is it alone in the tank? If not, what other fish are with it? What size tank is it in?

Jeeze Kelly...bombardment of questions :eek: huh...haha, JK...

No really, those are questions we need answers too though, Amberdawn. It is possible for him to turn a bright enough color of green that the spot on his head seems to disappear. As far as his belly turning dark when you walk into the room and then turn back to white is actually kind of normal...especially when you are still fairly new to him...its a recognition thing, when you first walk in the room he's not sure of your intentions, and he turns dark, when he's comfortable again, he turns back to his normal bright white belly. I've had mine for about 2 years now and he still does that to me on occasion. No big deal.

FreddyJ

Large Fish
May 5, 2006
My little GSP (well not so little now, he is growing up so fast!:eek: ) does the same thing. I've had him for about eight months and I was starting to get concerned that it was an internal parasite problem, but after close examination of his perfectly round, adorably plump belly after eating I decided that was probably not it. (still gave him some antibiotics though, because I am semi-neurotic when it comes to my fish, and I didn't want to chance it) I have noticed he does it less now...seems only when someone approaches his tank too quickly. If I just sit there and put some krill in his belly turns completely white and he is such a handsome little fellow (or beautiful little girl, I honestly don't know :D )

Good luck Amber!

And thank you Brack-man for finally putting my fears of an internal parasite problem to rest! *BOUNCINGS

Dec 1, 2005
f8fan said:
How long have you had it? How big is it?
What kind of water is it in (FW or brackish?)
What are you feeding it? Is it eating or showing interest?
What are your water params?
Is it alone in the tank? If not, what other fish are with it? What size tank is it in?
I have had her for about a month, shes about 3-4 inches, shes in fresh water, im feeding her krill she is a very loud eater, and eats alot, i dont keep tabs on the water, and yes shes in a tank alone, and shes in a 10 gallon.

a nother question, is it true that you can tamper them to fresh water, and only have to put them in brackish if you want to breed them after you taper them? The person i bought her from, seemed to knwo alot, and she said that is how she has kept her gsps all the time

FreddyJ

Large Fish
May 5, 2006
Brackish Water Puffers

You should go and read this page. Puffers are messy eaters and big waste producers, so I would encourage you to "keep tabs on the water." As puffers are scale-less fish they are somewhat more sensitive to water parameters.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Hmmm...
I would most definitely give the link that FreddyJ provided a read.

And to answer your freshwater question - NO. Your fish needs to be in brackish water and also needs a much larger tank (30 gallons min. per GSP). Brackish conditions for now, and when it's fully grown (6 inches) it will require full marine salinity. The krill is great - an excellent food source! I'd also try to get some snails for it to eat as this will further help in trimming it's beak.

Good luck! and welcome to MFT :D

FreddyJ

Large Fish
May 5, 2006
I won't take credit for finding that link (I think one of the mods posted it in another question on this Brackish forum) but I found it very helpful. ;)