Green Spotted Puffer Spinning

I ordered mine online...and I just went to the site that I ordered it from and its discontinued...this is what they say to use instead: Discomed 10 ct - No Longer Available, Use combo of Neomycin (AL2508) w/ Gel-Tek Internal Parasite (AP8200) or Prazi Pro. You might still be able to find some places that have the discomed....you'll just have to look around, but it comes in like a blister pack with 10 capsules in it, and I believe its was manufactured by Jungle

I'll see what else I can come up with that might work....I havent had to treat for IP's in quite a while so I'm not sure whats out there now.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I bought the Jungle anti-parasite food. It was about $6 at PetSmart and comes in mini pellets. The tough part is getting your fish to eat it, you may have to bury it in a "treat." Like imbed it in a shrimp or something. I had some luck with it for my sick platy, but had to grind it up and mix with other foods so she would eat it.

Note: Usually most fish store employees have no clue what they're talking about. I'm surprised the employee didn't try to sell you something anyways? Come here for your advice, much more neutral and reliable.

Venetia

Small Fish
Nov 5, 2006
Indy
The employee sold me 50 dollars worth of marine sand.

Just got back from petsmart. They didn't have the melefix or parafix (sp) in stock. They will have it Thursday. I went ahead and got the Jungle anti parasite. He took a little nibble. We'll see. My friend came by while I was gone with the water and Damsels. My hubby let him in so he got the 30 gallon all set up with 2 damsels. I forgot to tell him not to do it. Oh well, guess I've got saltwater now too.

GSP is no longer breathing heavy, I think it was a spike in the tank. That tank has only been set up for 5 days so I've been changing out a gallon a day trying to keep the levels down. His ph is 8.1 which is typical for Indiana water. Anything else I can do for him?
Thank you guys!

I do appreciate all your help!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I like to hear about Walmart fish getting happy healthy homes. :) Please please keep us updated with his progress! Make sure to follow the food instructions, I think I remember something about them only eating the parasite food during treatment? but I'm not sure.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
That's great! :D Did you say in one of your earlier posts that the tank he is in has "bacteria"? Is his ten gallon cycled? Cos if you are adding salt to an already established FW tank, the bacteria for brackish if different and it'll take a while to convert over. Daily water changes sounds good.

If he does show interest in bloodworms, maybe put one or two in when you sprinkle the Jungle food in - ya know, maybe trick him into gobbling everything in site when he thinks it's bloodworms??

Good luck!

Venetia

Small Fish
Nov 5, 2006
Indy
It's a start from scratch tank but I bought some of the saltwater frozen good bacteria. I'm spacing out on the name. The girl I got him from had him in a goldfish bowl with bubbles and a little tropical salt. I started this tank fresh with a twinge of salt and then made it brackish over a 3 day period with water changes. He's doing so much better then when I got him. When she brought him over he was spinning super fast just bumping into everything. Now it's a very slow spin and he decides which direction to go. He's eating now and can even swim upright for a little bit. I really hope he makes it. I'm attached already.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Good to hear :D
When you said the salinty is 1.01...did you mean 1.001 or 1.010?
If it's 1.001 take some filter media from one of your other tanks to 'seed' the puffer tank with good bacteria. I would actually do that either way as some of it should survive. FW bacteria will live in BW up to a point then it start switching to SW bacteria.

Venetia

Small Fish
Nov 5, 2006
Indy
Update

Sorry missed the last question. Salinity is at 1.01.

He seems to be improving. All of his black smudges are gone. He's not spinning at all. He is still having some bouyency issues. His stomach is still flat, but not so much sunkin. The film looks much better too. I'm really encouraged by his improvements.
I went in this morning and he swam up to greet me.
Thank you guys for all your help!

I'm keeping up on his water and it looks like it's cycling well.
I did go to petco to pick up some frozen foods yesterday and they had an adult GSP. They had him in freshwater even though on the sign it said he needs brackish.
His whole underside is black and he has a sunkin belly. If they didn't have him marked at $24.00 I might have considered bringing him home.

I'm not happy with petco at all right now. First they keep selling bunnies after they promised the HRS they would stop.
And they know what these fish need, yet they won't do it.

Anyway I'll try to take a couple good photo's of the little guy to post.

Thanks Again!

Last edited: