graduating to bigger

Feb 22, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Well I'm graduating onto bigger and better...I'm getting 2 30g tanks and I am going to make one Brackish (sp).....I am going to get some dwarf and spotted puffers...I discovered them today at my friends...I'm also going to get some mono's as well...if anyone has some advice on my tank it would be appreciated...thanks

Davy

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
The only advice I have is to not put the dwarf puffers in. They are FW fish not brackish. I have had one for about 8 months now in FW with bloodfin tetras and pristellas. Dwarf puffer are one of the few if not the only FW puffer. Other than that I don't know much about brackish. Good luck!

CoNMaN

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Visit site
Tetraodon mbu, Carinotetraodon imitator (almost the same as the dwarf puffer(Carinotetraodon travancorius)) Chonerhinos amabilis, Chonerhinos modestu, are all also freshwater puffers, there are a few more that I cannt think of righ tnow. But most you will not find at your LFS. Just lettin ya know. NOTE: every LFS that i went to in my area told me that there was no such thing as freshwater puffers, dont believe them. these animals actully live in the wild in freshwater streams and rivers. :D

420Loach

Superstar Fish
May 26, 2003
Makaha, Hawaii
Visit site
my green spotted puffer lives in fresh water and hes nice and happy:D the old chinese guy that helped me said this when i bought him:

old chinese guy:are you putting this fish in community tank?

me: no i set up his own ten gallon, is that good enough?

ocg: oh yes, very good, is it brackish?

me: yeah i put a little salt in it, i heard it wa-

ocg: before you put him in there, change the water completely, he will turn black and get sick if you put him in brackish water.

me:eek:h...ok i will, but i heard that they are brackish...(standing there with puzzled look on my face)

ocg: oh, some are. these were caught in a fresh water stream, no where near brackish water. they were born fresh water puffers.:D

me: oh.......cool, thank you for that tidbit of info:D

ocg: enjoy your puffer:D

when i got home i tried to put him in the brackish for a while(because curiosity killed the loach, and im usually not one to go against the word of an old strange chinese man anyway, but i had to see) and within 2 minutes of being in the brackish water he turned so dark green that he was almost black! i put him in a 5 gal bucket as i changed his water and thanked the old man in my head. my puffer loves his freshwater!:D