Gouramis

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Hi all. I have three gouramis in a 30 gal tank. (Long story on that one.) I have one neon blue and two red flame dwarf gouramis. Anyway the three gouramis were all one size, now one of the red flame gouramis is almost full grown(about two inches). Anyone know why the other two haven't grown at the same pace? (They are still about an inch.) Thanks. :)

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Didn't you just set up your 30 gallon this weekend? How much could gouramis have grown in a few days?

I don't know much about the fish other than it was a bad idea to put two in with my female betta. From what people told me here putting more than one in a tank is about as complicated as housing multiple betta fish together, so three in a thirty gallon may not be the best idea.

Feb 27, 2009
Anyone know why the other two haven't grown at the same pace? (They are still about an inch.)
If the larger one is a bully to the others, they are likely not getting acess to the same volume of food and if being chased a lot, are stressed and just being stressed increases calorie use. So less food + more stress = less growth.

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
First of all, thanks to those that responded, I always learn so much from this website. @ryanoh - no my tank has been set up for approximately two years. I have had the gouramis for about two months (very rough estimate). I have been in the fishworld for about eight to nine years. @OrangeCones - I always look forward to your responses - I had the same thought but wasn't sure since I have never had gouramis. I do have one empty 10 gal tank that I can add one gourami so I'll put the smallest one in that one. I am not sure it's fully cycled though, and the plan is/was to use it as a hospital tank. I did hear from somone on this website that he/she had successfully kept two gouramis in a 26 gal tank. I hope mine works as well. Again, thanks.

Feb 27, 2009
Lots of barriers to sight help (plants, rocks, etc), so they can establish their own territory. If you see excessive chasing/nipping, rearrange things and they will go back to trying to figure out territory and MIGHT leave each other alone.

It's hit-miss with them though.

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Again, thanks to all - @OrangeCones - so far so good - i have put the "bully" in the 10 gal by himself. The two other gouramis in the 30 gal tank are doing well - very little if no chasing at all - each one stays on their own side of the tank. The orange stays near the top and the blue near the bottom. The blue actually hangs out with the emerald cory catfish. I will try the plant rearranging and adding if it becomes crazy again. @aakaakaak - you are correct, I could take both back to fish store but I won't do that, as I do like challenges. I am always the person to pick the most pathetic looking betta and nourish it back to health. As always, appreciate all the input. :)