Gouramis

Sheila

New Fish
Apr 22, 2008
I have always kept bettas but now have a tank available that I would like to try gouramis in. It is a 30g, heavily planted (with silk plants) and has 6 lemon tetras and 3 cherry barbs (plan on getting a few more, I know they prefer to be in groups) and 4 cory cats. I'd like to add a pair of gold gouramis. I've been told these guys are very aggressive and will constantly fight. I switched this tank over from a breeding pair of cichlids because I didn't want anymore fighting. How bad are gold gouramis? I really like them and I'd love to have a pair, but not if they fight all the time (I want to try to get a male and female or 2 females).

Thanks

The Gold Gouramis will fight to the point of death between two males. They will also end up attcking smaller fish.
Females, are noramally harder to find, and I am not sure, but I think they are also less colourful. This applies to dwarf gouramis I know for sure.
If you want some gouramis, I suggest Honey Gouramis. They stay small, at about 2.5 inches, and they are very peaceful. I have two in my twenty gallon tank, and they haven't touched each other.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
The Gold Gouramis will fight to the point of death between two males. They will also end up attcking smaller fish.
Females, are noramally harder to find, and I am not sure, but I think they are also less colourful. This applies to dwarf gouramis I know for sure.
If you want some gouramis, I suggest Honey Gouramis. They stay small, at about 2.5 inches, and they are very peaceful.
I agree 100%. I've had gold gouramis together and and was nothing but trouble. Some will attack other breeds (tetras, for example)...though I did have one that was pretty calm.

I have not kept Honey's before but hope to have some one day. I do know that Pearls are very calm. They get about the same size as Golds and rarely show aggression.