Gourami letting off little bubbles

CSM

Small Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Golden, CO
Visit site
I just bought a male and female dwarf gourami.

I introduced him to the tank about 2 hours ago. And now I noticed that he is much more active than before. He is swimming side to side and up and down quite a bit. And he will shake his body and about 20 tiny, tiny bubbles come off him. In all my research I never came across someone else's fish doing this.

Only other tankmates are 3 ghost shrimp, some pond snails which he was picking at earlier =). And I have a hornwort that I just got today also

Jason

adamj

Large Fish
Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
You might have a high saturation of O2 in the tank, when the fish moves fastly, he stirs up bubbles out of the water. Im not sure what it is really, just a guess.

adamj

Large Fish
Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
You might have a high saturation of O2 in the tank, when the fish moves fastly, he stirs up bubbles out of the water. Im not sure what it is really, just a guess.

CSM

Small Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Golden, CO
Visit site
he was still shaking off some bubbles today, but nearly as much as yesterday. But he still seemed very stressed (swimming against the glass a lot)

he hasn't blown a bubblenest yet. I thought that he might be courting the female. He chases her around a little. I noticed he would "spit" water out of his mouth today. I've read that some people's gourami's were doing the same thing. I found it very fascinating.

This evening my girlfriend wanted to add a pair of platies to the tank. Of course, I gave in. After adding the sunset platies both the gouramis have seemed to settle down. Everyone is getting along great. The male gourami will let the platies know if they are in his way :)

Update on the tank:
Male and female dwarf gourami
male and female sunset platy
3 ghost shrimp
some hornwort

Thanks for all the input. I've been very nervous about the behavior.
Jason