Gourami coloring suddenly DARK???

Chaotic

New Fish
Jul 9, 2007
I have two Blue Gourami whose color often vary from light blue to a darker, almost irridescent blue. Tonight however, they are both acting very strange, hovering near the top of the tank, I've even heard some splashing going on at the top, which is new for them (at least in the 3 months I've had them) and their color is the darkest I've ever seen it. Crazy dark! I managed to snap a picture that doesn't show the fish very well, but does give an idea of the color.

Has anyone seen this before? I believe I have two females and they both are that dark. I have no clue what's going on. :eek:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
fish sometimes change color depending on their surrounding conditions. Have you been keeping an eye on the temperature of the tank? Notice whether its warmer or cooler when they are different colors? Also, many will lose color when scared or stressed so you might want to make sure they are not stressing each other out by fighting. What size tank are they in?

Chaotic

New Fish
Jul 9, 2007
The temp and all parameters have been good. They are in a 20g and have never shown any aggression towards each other at all. In fact tonight especially they've been hanging out more together. Under the drift, in the cave, under the filter. I think I'm just going to keep an eye on them and see what happens. I'm also thinking about starting to chart their color changes and see if there is some rhyme or reason or some sort of pattern.

Thanks for the replies!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
My guesses:

1. You have a male and female and they are thinking about breeding.
2. Your tank temperature is fluctuating all over the place.
3. You're stressing them out by flipping lights on and off near their tank.

Jul 9, 2007
The only reasonable option there is the male-female one. The both look identical to me, fin shapes the same, coloring, anything is possible though. One is slightly larger than the other and I'm guessing from their size they're probably reaching maturity (appx. 4 1/2"). Tank temp is stable and the tank is in the family room. Light comes on late in the evening and stays on until we go to bed. They have a tank light as well that comes on and off at the same time every day.

Jul 9, 2007
OK, this is what I've got. Sorry, the fish move and my camera's not that great. I managed to get pics of both, but don't ask me which is which. :confused:

Jul 9, 2007
Both of them have that elongated dorsal fin. So now, assuming they're both male, do I need to seperate them? I don't have another tank to put one of them in, but could possibly try to rehome one of them if needed. I don't want to walk in one day to find one floating and torn to shreds.

May 22, 2007
If they're both male, they will eventually kill eachother or the stronger one will kill the weaker.

I'd keep trying to take a bunch of pics until you get some that really show their fins before thinking about moving one of them.

When we had 2 males in a tank it took about 2 months before they went at it and killed eachother.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
I had two male Paradise blue gourmai, still have them but i had to separate them as aggression started to set in, since i seperated them they have both stayed same colors pretty much, and both have started getting better tails since they nipped at eachother alot. If possible i would ID the sexes and if both male return one for credit or something, i thought same thing at beginning, they seemed ok hanging out and stuff but then one day they snapped and went after eachother flaring gills and being mean.