Got a free 10 gallon!

Got a 10 gallon tank open, and ready for puffers!

I've managed to get my 10g tank empty again (got rid of some convicts (gave away) and rosy minnows (moved to my 29, they school with the danios), so I wanna get some puffers! How many can I safely put in it? Also, what different ones would you recommend for the 10? It will be just them, so no real worries about compatability or fin nipping. I just got really interested after reading loach420's story about his puffer being happy to see him! Any tips would be appreciated!

Last edited:

MrMup04

Superstar Fish
Aug 13, 2003
wat another free 10g tank? man ur lucky

i don't know much about puffers
but i would put 1 dwarf puffer in the 10g like wat insane beaver does

thats all i know
srry

420Loach

Superstar Fish
May 26, 2003
Makaha, Hawaii
Visit site

GrImLoCk

Large Fish
Oct 2, 2003
Aag Town
Visit site
after a couple of years ur gonna want to get a bigger tank b/c hes gonna get 6 inch...his growth is slower now but after they hit 2 or 3 inches its like they hit puberty and the growth spurts kick in

If I got a few years before he needs it, thats good. I really have no room for a 20l, although I really want one. (small dorm room) I was thinking of dwarf puffers, but I've never seen them for sale here. A single spotted green one will be cool though. I went out and bought one of those 1 gallon aquarium kits from walmart for raising snails and ghost shrimp. I doubt the ones I raised in my 10 will last long with that puffer :), plus my loaches will want some too!

I just bought 2 figure 8 puffers! After reading up, (and they were the only ones there, lol) they seemed like a better choice. I was just going to get 1, but they were the only 2 left, and they seemed to be attached to each other. They were playing around sort of like my clown loaches do! I dropped in a ghost shrimp from my 1g feeder tank, and they went nuts on it! There are a couple minnows in there (and 2 tiny feeder guppies that hitched a ride with the ghost shrimp) that they like to chase! They are so cool!

I'll be sure keep an eye on them. I completely redecorated my 10 from before, it has a crushed coral substrate, a sort of tree stump type decoration from my 29g (the 1 I bought for it turned out to be too big, so I switched them) with 2 java ferns, some floating anacharis, and some plastic plants in the corners to add some more hiding spots. I also put the sponge filter from my 29 in there temporarily to soften any cycling that might happen. I'll put up some pictures of my tanks as soon as my DVC 80 gets here.

Well, one died overnight. I checked the water, and there were nitrites, but only like .25ppm. I decided to not get another one, and to keep the other one by himself. He's doing good, buzzing all over the tank. The dead one didn't have any nips or anything... he was lying still on the bottom. Could it have been the nitrites? I added some Amquell plus and did a partial water change in case that was the cause. Also, I experimented with freeze dired krill on a string, so he will eat non-live food if I run out of snails or shrimp.

GrImLoCk

Large Fish
Oct 2, 2003
Aag Town
Visit site
more than likely he just died b/c of stress keep in mind they're wild caught so they gotta go thru that stress getting shipped from asia get to united states than stuck in a new tank at the pet shop were their water parameters isn't n e where near their envoirment...than have someone buy them and put in a another tank w/ diffrent water parameters also could be parasites too.... did you do a water change? if so than things are just out of your control...heh i thinking about getting fig 8's now too just gotta talk my girlfriend into it now

I just added some melafix just in case. I hope it was just stress though...I added the amquell plus, then I changed some of the water. On a side note, my heater appears to have gone out on my 29g... temp is down to 76, and the heater's light isn't on. I usually keep it at 80. Guess I'll have to get one tomorrow. D@mn visitherm heater... hope the lower temps don't stress my clowns out. I added some melafix in there too. Last thing I need is an ick outbrak... Also, melafix doesn't hurt clowns, does it?

MrMup04

Superstar Fish
Aug 13, 2003
i just told him that to put 1 dwarf puffer in a 10g becuase that what you did... so i guess it was right to put 1 dwarf puffer in the 10g

srry if i offended u