Goldfish temperature -- what is the proper range?

Can0Beans

Medium Fish
Jun 23, 2004
Hermitage, PA
Visit site
(All temps are in fahrenheit -- sorry to those who use a system that actually makes sense)

Okay -- after I started the clown pleco thread, I started researching goldfish temps, both recommended and tolerated. The reality is that there is little consistency in this information. I have read that the ideal is no higher than 64 degrees (http://www.brooklands.co.nz/gold/gold.htm) to the optimal range being between 68 and 78 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfish) to someone saying that Orandas and the like prefer water temp around 78.

So what is the consensus here?

I obviously want what is best for the health of my fish -- and I am not interested in breeding so breeding temps are not important to me.

Nov 9, 2005
Washington
I keep my room pretty cold at night and with the aquarium light off, the water, gets down to about 70 degrees F. During the day however I warm my room up and the water in the tank changes anywhere from 76-78 degrees F. I don't know whats going on because its not that warm in my room. I've heard that goldfish kept at higher temps just produce more waste but I don't want them to get sick from the water being too warm.

-Xan

Sep 8, 2005
My orandas, bubble eyes and moors seem content, actually happy with room temp water. That's 70ish in the winter and 80's in the summer. I do float frozen water bottles when its over 85. The fancy goldfish like it a little warmer than the regular goldfish.

Last edited:

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Goldies are very tolerant to temperatures, as long as they are healthy and the temperature change is not to radical.

Goldies can survive in 32F (0C) ice-cold water, they simply stop moving and sorta hibernate, and as long as they don't freeze solid, they will revive when it warms up.

Now, temperature does affect goldies behaviour:

- Temps over 76F will result in very active, very hungry, very messy goldies. They also get less oxygen in warm water and will probably live shorter lives in the long run.
- Temps from 68 to 74F (room temp) will keep goldies faily active, but still a little warmer than they need.
- Temps from the 56 to 64 are optimal, the goldies will not be hyperactive, they will eat at a better pace and produce less waste, living longer lives.
- Temps below 56F will produce sluggish goldies, they will be less active, less hungry.

Mixing tropicals and goldies is not recommended because:
a) Goldies prefer cooler temps. Tropicals are more prone to health issues below 76F.
b) Goldies are large fish, large waste and need large tanks to buffer the bio-load. Tropicals are more sensitive to high waste loads.
c) Goldies will eat most live plants, so your tropicals will be missing-out on one of the best looking features of a tank - live plants.

So, if your Goldies in the low 70's, do sweat it too much. If it gets higher, try a small fan blowing on the surface to reduce the heat, but be ready to add water regularly as evaporation will drop the water levels rather quickly.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you boys went to SE Asia you'dprobably see the best goldies in the world in temps into the 80's, and occasionally the 90's. The only problem with keeping them with trops is their messiness

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
True, higher temps often result in faster growth and larger sized fish, and is fairly common practice with some breeders.

I imagine most temperatures are fine with goldies, provided its stable and you do the appropriate maintenance to handle the waste.