Goldfish keepers opinions wanted!

Sep 8, 2005
*SUPERSMIL *BOUNCINGS How many orandas and bubble eyes can i keep in a 65 gal.? I'm concerned about water quality as these are smelly little devils :p . I change 20% of the water once or twice weekly. I am running two hagen 110s [500 gph each] with BioMax and a 2 foot bubble wand.The water currently is crystal clear and does not smell and i'd like it to stay that way... All water readings are normal. The tank is planted. Per the research i have done and the lfs i can have 5 but i kinda think that is pushing it given the large amount of waste and ammonia they produce.I would like to add one more. What do you think?? *BOUNCINGS *BOUNCINGS I just love these fish. They have the cutest fat little bellies!! *SUPERSMIL

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think as long as you afford them about 10 gallons each they tank should be fine with regular cleanings like you've been doing. Is the tank cycled? You could add at least one more...and I'd think you'd probably be fine up to 5 or 6 goldies in there.

You have plants with goldfish? Hows that working out? Usually people complain that their goldies eat or at least uproot plants all the time.

Sep 8, 2005
The tank is cycled as i used the filter from the 30 gal and the rocks/gravel. I also dumped the water from the 30 gal in and used stablize for a week. Believe or not these fish don't mess with most the plants. I planted lots of seaweed in the back and they do eat that. I rubberbanded some of it to rocks so they can't pull it up! I picked plants that are supposed to be goldfish proof.So far its working.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Hillstream loaches are very cool. Also, apple snails or dojo loaches are pretty neat goldie companions. I go by the 10 gallon per fish rule also (with some exceptions) In my inside tanks I have fantails and one very large Moor, Mushroom. I saw some ranchu a local breeder has and will probably commit my empty 46 bow to them some time in the near future -- they really charmed me. I just got some more orandas this week -- very pretty. They're in quarantine right now. :)

Sep 8, 2005
I've added two moors and they are adorable. I looked at the hillstream loaches.. they were very tiny. The goldfish wouldn't accidently eat them would they?? I didn't know you could put dojo loaches with goldfish. I was looking at them and thought they were beautiful. Have you had success with this Seleya? My water is very cool in the winter about 65ish at the warmest. Thanks for all your suggestions

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
The dojos go well with the goldies imo, they like similar conditions and are such a contrast to the fancies. One thing to remember is that you really don't want a sand substrate with goldfish (lots of loaches are listed as appreciating some sand) -- I use "turtle pebbles" I found at Petco. They're nice, rounded, small pebbles. The hillstream loaches worked well in my tank -- the goldfish barely noticed them but you have to meet their needs. They are so cool when they stick to the glass and you can see their tiny hearts beating. The loaches were a bit harder to find than dojos tho I have found dojos are either feast or famine as far as finding them also.

Sep 8, 2005
My fish store has the Dojo loaches and the Hillstream. They have two kinds of Hillstream loaches. Regular and Hong Cong. The first are $14.00 the Hong Cong are $5.00. What is the difference other than price? They look the same to me.Thanks JNevaril for the Home Depot tip!! What do you think about two of each??

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Just make sure what you buy is ROUNDED and not too large for goldfish mouths! Goldfish pick up gravel constantly and dojos can also get scuffed up while they're rummaging around doing their loachy thing. ;) If you get pea gravel, make sure it's literally pea sized, uniform and very smooth.

As far as the loaches, I think you're better to choose one or the other. Dojos love having friends to play with and aren't as sensitive as Hillstreams to water conditions, so would be a better match, imo, to goldies. Why not start with two dojos and see how it goes? :)

I don't know the difference between the hillstreams, do they list different scientific names? Common names really don't tell you much anyways. Lots of stores list hillstreams as butterfly plecos and other things. If you like them, read up on their demands and try to find out the differences so you can make an educated decision.

Sep 8, 2005
Seleya I think i may have a problem. I have round river stones in my aquarium too big for my goldfish to pick up. They vary in size from twice the size of a pea to about 1 and 1/2 inches. I take it i should cover it with pea gravel??? I was afraid smaller stones would get stuck in their mouths!!!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I don't know much about the gravel issue, but I thought I'd mention that dojo loaches are particularly known for escaping out of tanks. They need a very good cover on the aquarium.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
prettypleco said:
Seleya I think i may have a problem. I have round river stones in my aquarium too big for my goldfish to pick up. They vary in size from twice the size of a pea to about 1 and 1/2 inches. I take it i should cover it with pea gravel??? I was afraid smaller stones would get stuck in their mouths!!!
If they're too big to pick up, there's no problem. ;) They just really make a habit of picking up rocks as they forage so the wrong size rocks could get stuck and rougher rocks could abrade. Be sure to vacuum really well around the river rocks, debris can get down into the nooks and crannies easier with larger substrate.

Yes, dojos can be escape artists -- one of mine once went up my filter intake. :confused: