Goldfish covered in white film (not Ich)

Clix

New Fish
Dec 20, 2012
472735_565371706821948_1692205087_o.jpg

They are on day 4 of treatment for Ich. There are four of them in a 15 gallon tank along with a pleco. I believe the pleco is the problem since we got him a couple of days before this happened. We have a heater in the tank and a filtration system. I don't know the chlorine, nitrates, ammonia levels, etc. We use well water where I live.

Any help for these guys?

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I'm pretty sure that is not Ich. I believe that it is some sort of fungal infection.
My guess is that the fungal infection is because your tank is overstocked. I would recommend that you do a water change and buy a liquid test kit to test nitrates, nitrites and ammonia.
Knowing your water parameters is key to maintaining a healthy tank, especially is the tank is newer.

Goldfish are huge waste producers and keeping multiple goldfish in such a small tank means that your water goes bad really quickly.
The pleco may have carried the infection, but I'm guessing that the immune systems of the goldfish were already comprised. How long have you had the goldfish?

I think your fish have Cotton Wool Disease and from what reading I did on the Internet it can be easily treated.
I would recommend that you do a water change to help with the quality of the tank water.
You could use any number of methods to treat it...Malachite Green, Jungle fungus Eliminator(US) or Anti-Fungus-Remedy(UK) or aquarium salt baths.
**I have never treated Cotton Wool Disease or used any of these products to treat a fungal infection so my knowledge of them is limited.**

Anyone else have any ideas??