Going Brackish... Someday

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
I was thinking of going brackish. We don't have the room for another tank right now, but someday in the future we will be moving into a bigger house. I have an empty 5G, and I was wondering what fish I could get for it when we do move. (I might by a 10g)

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
see im thinking about tryn to turn my 30g into brackish and keeping figure 8 and mollys in it... and i think most brackish pry need a 20g min 30g preffered.. my question to add to his is what can you put into it for plants and other such...

FreddyJ

Large Fish
May 5, 2006
I've read (on these threads somewhere) that salinity tends to fluctuate more with a smaller tank due to evaporation, so a larger is always better in that aspect. I guess it depends on what your future tank inhabitants are going to be. Also, in a five gallon the bioload is going to be a big issue for you, also depending on the fish.

there is a wealth of BW plant info on Google just search Brackish Aquarium plants. The only two that are actually doing well in mine are the water sprite (a floating plant) and the anubias. Had to remove the ancharis as it never seemed to really take off (lots of sad looking leaves).

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
If you were extra vigilant with doing water changes, you could possibly get one figure 8 puffer in a ten gallon. Don't rule out brackish just yet....:)

It is true about the evaporation factor with salinity, but these fish are used to fluctuating salinity levels due to their natural environment (river estuaries). I'd be more concerned about nitrate buildup from evaporation than salinity changes. Always remove uneaten food, do regular water changes, and you could at least start out with one F8 puffer, and get him a larger tank in a year or two...

Read this article, I bet you will learn a lot about brackish fish and tanks in general :http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Z man. Don't let any one scare you out of a 10 gal BW tank. You can do some cool things with sand and BB gobies. There are other species of goby that can be found out there that will also do just fine in a 10. IME they all do eat live and meaty foods only so just like with puffers WQ is a concern and would need to be changed every week.

one of them is the white check goby http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/xyshannen/Gobies/mmmprettycolors.jpg

Another would be the African goby, Sorry I don't have any pics of mine. And others can be found on AB researched and normally ordered from LFS. They are normally always on the import sheets.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Personally I wouldn't do a F8 long term in a 10gal. Since I only had 1 F8 and he was tiny I moved him to a 10gal. Over a month or so his behavior dramatically changed. He became skittish, appetite wasn't there - he almost refused to eat anything except snails.....he hid and paced the glass frantically. I think he was going a little crazy.
I've since put him back in my 46 with the GSP and he acts happy again. Luckily (for now) I have a very passive GSP. It was actually cute because the F8 attached himself to the GSP and is like a little shadow. I am glad the GSP is tolerating it.

So............this isn't to say you couldn't do it, but just sharing my experience.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Zman16 said:
It seems like you need to keep a big tank for all of the cool fish. And since I don't have the room, I will just stick with my fish.
:( Oh sure, Zman...go ahead...take another little piece of my heart...just drive a stake right through it!

:( Why don't you just put a pancake on my puffer :( :(

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
f8fan said:
:( Oh sure, Zman...go ahead...take another little piece of my heart...just drive a stake right through it!

:( Why don't you just put a pancake on my puffer :( :(
I bet you thought I wasn't gonna do it.

HA!

Anyways whats the minimun tank size for a fiddler crab?

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
f8fan said:
Although their heads are kind small, I bet you'd have a hard time getting a pancake on them :)
If I put my mind to it anything can have a pancake on its head! :D

Ty for the website. My dad isn't letiing me get anything to big, so I think the fiddler crab is the best way to go. I'll set up a 3 gallon (in a week or two). I'll write back when I have a question. Which will probably be soon.