glofish

kozaka

New Fish
Feb 21, 2011
hi i'm new to this sight but i like what i see. i have glofish they are zebra fish that are altered with color. i have done some research on breading
i'm not sure if I'm doing it right. i put marbles on the bottom so they cant eat the eggs i had them in the tank for 3 days to lay then put them back in my 90g. any info i would be thankful *thumbsup2

Mar 14, 2011
Glofish breeding

If you want to breed glofish just so you know that's illegal in America if YOU SELL OR TRADE IT. I don't live in america and in my country its not illegal so ill tell you what i know. First condition your fish. Females are generally larger in width especially from above. You could breed a group or pair(I breed pairs). Right so first thing searate male(s) from female(s) and try to feed them high proteins. Raw chicken liver is good. Conditioning is boring I only conditioned for 1 day because I was very lazy but they are breeding at this very moment. So put them in a tank by their self. There are many ways from stopping them from eating their eggs and the marbles are a good choice. If you have marbles try to have the water above the marbles by about 2 inches because they sometimes eat it in mid-water. Make sure you DO NOT have a power filter as the eggs WILL get sucked up. Ok so male and female done conditioned and are together, they usually breed at first sight of light (mine started breeding instantly) Make sure you watch for the male chasing the female over and over. So leave them once you see they are breeding for the minimum of 3 hours you can leave them for a long time because the marbles are there. So now they have finished breeding take them out (remember no rush to do this due to the marbles) and put them some where else. in about 36-48 hours from spawning the eggs will hatch (the parents Must be out at this time) and they will be hanging on the walls of the container. DO NOT FEED AT THIS POINT. When they are hanging it means they are absorbing their yolk sacs. If you feed when hanging it will just pollute the water. You can add a sponge filter now. when they start swimming you can feed liquid fry food (buy at lfs) or infusoria and when they get bigger feed baby brine shrimp or flakes when big enough you can feed anything. Other ways to stop adults from eating eggs is to have a semi-floating colinder so the eggs can fall through out of the parents reach. You can also put mesh at he bottom of the tank or just put plenty plants and hope they live. Don't forget to do regular but small water changes in the fry tank be careful you don't throw away your fry. Hope this helps and you succeed.