GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!!!!

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
tell me about your palnted tanks, background middle foreground plants...everything. I NEED IDEAS!!!!!

I have a 40g with small natural redish gravel, a level made by a large rock...i've put a few temparary plants in for the fish, 10 small tiger barbs and ten blue platies. It has an internal power filter that i think i'll have to change, it's way too strong for the plants. any suggestions will be greatly appriciated  :) :-/ :-[ :)

Meoww Pussycat, I would use Giant Vallis at the back interspersed with Hygrophylia Polysperma, Anubias on the next level on bogwood or porous stone, and foreground I Would use Low growing Cryptocyrnes.
Try and get a small external power filter, I use these as they are quite gentle on the return and you do not have to clean them very often.
GOOD LUCK.  8)

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
First; YOU DON'T NEED TO SHOUT!  We're here for you, kitty. {friendly scratch behind ears};)
Amen on the external filter, but I'd go for a cannister variety because if you set it up right there's less surface agitation to drive off your CO2. (you are using CO2, right?)
Again, amen on the plant selections, but I'd also throw in a Java Fern v. Windelov just to add another leaf shape.  Also, if you've got enough light, dwarf sag for a foreground "lawn" plant; if not, Java Moss might do.
I seem to remember that you didn't want a green-only plant aquarium, so I'd get wendtii v. red for one of your crypts (that is a low grower, right? Mine is small and I can't tell) and "tropic sunset" for the hygro.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
In the front you could do some java fern and some java moss. Those are small and good looking. For a colored plant go with the red wendtii (sp) I have one and it's really doing good and getting big. For the back I would suggest some giant hygrophylla. They do good and look pretty too. There are many others out there it just depends on what you want. What kinda fish are you going to put in it? If you do certain fish you could do some swords and other neat plants. ;D Good luck. :D

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I never use Co2 and my plants do great...i just can't be bothered with it. (please don't be mad)
I have a kind of amazon set up in my 2ft...i want to do something different with this one...and no crypts...I have a few different hygros and some baby tears for now...i really have to get a pic so you can see what it needs...i'll do that now :)

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Kitten I don't use co2 either and my plants have nothing wrong with them. In fact they look better than they did when I bought them and they are growing really good. ;D So you already have and amazon then nevermind on the swords. I have some hygors too and I really like them. I have some nice plants and I don't know what they are. I will find out sometime and tell you. ;D

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
WHAT!?!!?!!?!    NO CO2?!!?!!?!!?!   AUUUUURGH!

Must.....control.....fist.....of............death.......

;D j/k  ;D

but seriously,
Hey, do what you like; they'll grow with or without, that's for sure.  I was just trying to help your plants overrun your tank (i.e., "feed me Semore") ;)

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
here's my 10g tank layout...

I don't have any pics yet, so you'll have to picture it..

starting from left background and moving to right background:
micranthemum umbrosum
rotalla macandra
heternanthera zosterfolia
tall and somewhat wide piece of driftwood
java fern

Foreground: glossostigma, anubias nana

I'm currently working on an Amano type tank.... three rocks with one being the centerpiece, glosso all around, hairgrass (not the dwarf ones) in the background, micranthemum umbrosum at one corner (just to help use up nutrients for now), and I'd like to fill another corner with some cyperus helferi.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Wow that tank sounds neat sega.

Scrimman please do control your "fist of death" ::) Please like I can't take you! ;D CO2 is not neccessary or I would use it. I promise. :D

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
Nope, adding CO2 ain't neccessary (read all after "fist of death") but it does make a difference.  As previously stated; do what you like.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As for taking me: take me where? I'm married and I don't bat for the pink team anyway. :D
Young people these days....... ;D

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Kitten your welcome! ;D I can't wait to see some pics. ;D

Srimman I have many things to say. 1st of all I know I read all after the "fist of death" that's why I said it duh! ;D And I DEFINITELY don't bat for the pink team either if you only knew what something stood for...... but you don't so it doesn't matter. If you want ask. I

I don't plan on taking you anywhere. I know your married. I am too practically. ;D Just don't ask. Young people are not bad. We're very interesting if once again you only knew what all I did...... I would be shunned. Some people on here do but not many. I'm not your average teen. ;D

Oct 22, 2002
How much light are you using? How many watts/liter? If you have a bright tank, you could always go with Glossostigma elatinoides (http://www.tropica.dk/45a.htm) or Lilaeopsis brasiliensis (http://www.tropica.dk/40.htm). This will give you that cool lawn look to the tank. I've always thought that Riccia fluitans (http://www.tropica.dk/1.htm) attached to rocks or wood looks spiffy.

With more light, you have a different look to the aquarium.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
No I don't have any pics of my tank. I don't have anyway to get them up here anyways. I need a digital camera but they're too expensive when I could be buying more tanks! ;D I will try to get some if I can. Do you know of any way other than a digital camera to get them up here? ;D