Getting Serious!

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Okay you guys I'm getting serious about the whole saltwater tank thing. I have been doing some pricing and stuff and just got a new job so I am planning on this setup to go with my budget and space availability. Here is what I can afford:

- 20 gallon tank (long)
- protein skimmer
- argonite sand substrate
- live rock
- a tomato clown
- anemone
- false percula clown(s)
- cleaner shrimp

Does this sound okay ??? Thanks in advance. ;D

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
i was told to stay away from anemone....

how about some mushrooms or polyps instead.

clownfish don't really need anemone.....

lucky you. i'm still searching for a saltwater tank in the recycler ads...haven't found the one i wanted yet.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Okay some more info. I now have decided I can get a 29 gallon and it be a better deal ($70) for tank and hood. And I'm going to get a Lee's protein skimmer, it's gotten good reviews, and the rest is still the same.

Well they clowns at the store all have themselves burried in anemones. I don't mind to buy them. They're really cheap around here and the clowns seem to love them. I know they don't need them to survive but I love the look of them. Thanks in advance. :D

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Well the problem is all the skimmers around here are for tanks that are like 70 gallons+ and they are like $90. I found a store in another town that carries saltwater supplies for really good prices, which is kinda hard to find around here, and they have them for tanks that are small in size. The one I am going to get maybe is for tank up to 30 gallons and it's only $20. And I've been reading up and they say it's pretty good. Especially for the price. I don't have the money for anything really expensive and this one is a good deal. :D

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ryan,
I would steer clear from the anemone.  Those suckers will die on you.  Unless your tank has been setup for years, they are not going to make it.  My friend tried 3 bubble tip anemone in his 200 gallon reef (gorgeous) and none of them made it.  He had the reef setup for 3-4 years.
I guess any skimmer is better than no skimmer but with a 29 gallon tank, I would definitely search for some forums from people selling their backpack or prizm skimmer.  Just remember you get what you paid for.  The ratings for the skimmers is bogus.  If it saids it is rated for 100 gallons cut that rating in half, therefore rated for 50 gallons instead.

Lynn

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Ok this is weird....not contradicting just telling a story.LOL!

My little 5G FO wonder salty, has 2 anemones under a 25 watt INCANDESCENT bulb nasty yellow lighting. The largest and oldest is HUGE think its about to divide. I do nothing to this tank, it gets a 1G waterchang everyweek. Havent touched the substrate, and I threw the anemones in the first day. Of course I did use water and media from one of my exisiting salt tanks. Do absulutly nothing for the anemones, have them in all the salties.

Clowns IMO don't need anemones but like them. BakPak skimmers are good. I use them on my 30G reef and 25G reef the 10G reef and 5G FO dont even have a skimmer.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Dattack thanks for the advise. I have noticed that there are a whole lot of unsettled debates on the whole saltwater aspect of fish keeping and everyone has a different opinon. One of my lfs that does salt said they never waited any time before they put anemones in and they have had this one for almost 3 years now and it's huge and she said once it cycles she would see no problem with me putting one in. I know clowns don't need they but they are gorgeous and the clowns are so cool when they hide around and play in them.

Now to the skimmer. Well I can't really get anything online because I don't have a credit card to order it with. And like I said you have trouble finding them around here for smaller tanks. The guy at the fish store said he had one on his 29 gallon and it's not the best but he said it very good for the price and a simple tank like mine will be. He said that's the one he would reccomend that they carry so I'm not sure. I might try looking around somewhere else. I am going to another town today and I'll try there. Thanks. ;D

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would definitely save up your money before buying that Lee Skimmer because I think you will want to upgrade your saltwater tank sooner than later.  Just ask anybody on this board who started a saltwater tank.  
Have you tried your local newspaper.  There are always people getting out of the hobby and all my stuff are second hand stuff.
I am not trying to tell you not to get an anenome but the easiest one to maintain is the bubble tip anenome which is natural for clown fishes.  I am just saying there are more complaints about keeping an anenome alive than there are "anenome was easy for me" story.