Genetically modified fish?

Feb 19, 2008
My LFS has on sale some red starfire glowfish, which were at one point $5 each. I tried to do some research and discovered that they are altered to "glow". I don't like painted tetra's ... lol, so I'm not sure how I feel about Genetically Modified fish.

Any feelings on the matter?

Aug 30, 2003
Floridian Hillbilly
Well, i wouldnt knowing eat anything genetically altered...all heirloom and locally raised if possible.
So I wouldn't keep anything as a pet either.
When people genetically alter things, bad things happen.
Remember (Dolly?) the sheep?

Lone Wolff

Medium Fish
Feb 4, 2008
Lincoln, NE
I tend to agree with MissFishy's opinion about these.
What Kind of Fish?

Genetically altered, I have no pro or cons. I don't own any, but I could make arguments for both sides of the situation. I personally think the cherry barbs look just as good as glofish.

Dyed, I do not agree with this practice at all.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
sweetpickles they were genetically produced for that purpose using enzymes from i believe jellyfish...that why the name GLOFISH is trademarked. They are illegal in california for this reason. The trait is passed on to the young so only a adult pair need to be altered to produce numerous GLOFISH

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
The Glofish have their genes spliced with coral I believe. So, yes they are altered but its before they are even created. So, is it wrong, maybe...but I dont have a problem with it. Now, the painted glass fish, and the like...thats F'n wrong!

Jan 21, 2008
Massachusetts
I have a "sunburst orange" glofish that my sister gave me when she decided that fish keeping wasn't for her. He is the sole survivor from her tank. If poor water conditions make them glow, then he probably could have replaced her night-light. I really like this little guy and hope to get him some friends, as I just learned that they like to play "tag" with each other from MissFishy's site. I wasn't aware until now though that they literally glow when under a black light.

Aug 30, 2003
Floridian Hillbilly
I still think anything 'genetically altered' is wrong.
It weakens a creatures structure, even if you don't see it now, eventually it will become obvious later.
Of course I'm a Christian so have Christian views.

I don't however have a problem breeding 'hybrids'. As long as the end result is a healthy animal the okay. :D
You're talking to the girl who used ta breed wolfdogs, lol. Not that they're actual 'hybrids'.
A person really couldnt have a problem with selective breeding...if they ever owned a dog or cat..LOL

wintermute

Medium Fish
Feb 18, 2004
Visit site
The original purpose of Glofish was to use them for tracer testing (seeing which way water flows) sewer systems. they're a tool that has made it's way into the aquarium trade. I don't have any problem with them. The ones that I've seen are modified zebra danios. Do a search for Glow Bunny.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
GloFish® Welcome

Here's the website if your interested goes into detail about the California issue

I need to restate my earlier comment..i dont mind genetically altered or hybrids...dyed fish are a different story...dont like, dont agree with!!

I do like blood parrot cichlids..and yes i know they are "deformed" hybrids.

LMarts

Large Fish
Feb 24, 2008
Georgia
I have 10 red Glofish. My son and I love watching them. They chase each other all over the 55 G tank. They do look really cool under the black light. They are playful and active. I think genetically altering things just for appearence is wrong, but these did actually have a valid reason.