GAH! Why you should buy a check valve (and save a lot of grief)

Oct 15, 2006
I've got a 40 gallon tank, which I put an airstone and tubing in. Since I was just preping the tank, I didn't have any fish yet. I didn't have a pump or a check valve, I just put the airstone attached to the tubing inside the tank, buried the stone at the bottom, and left it there. The previous days, I just left the airstone and tubing not at the bottom, but just laying inside the tank for a bit. That was at ~1 am in the living room. I go to bed, while my roomates are still kinda drinking. They turn in much later, and last roomate comes back in at 4am.

Fast forward to 7:30am. My roomates wake me up and tell me something went wrong with my fishtank. I wake up groggily, and then walk into the living room and see that the carpet next to my tank is soaking wet, and that I've lost around 20-25 gallons of water on the floor. I check it and it came from the stupid tubing and airstone: water kept flowing from the bottom of the tank into the airstone, up the tubing and on to the carpet. Stupid capillary action, stupid pressure laws, stupid bernoulli's law, and whatever physical phenomenon is to blame for gravel vacs and pythons :(

Bummer.

I start cleaning up, (Roomates leave to go to Magic Mountain DAMN THEM :mad: ) I go get a rug doctor (costs me $26), vaccum maybe about 2 gallons worth of water off the floor when the maintenance guy comes by. I live on the second floor of an apartment complex, and the first floor guys saw that the water was dripping through the floor into their apartment. The water leached through the floor, and when I went downstairs to check the damage, I could see that the path the water took through the beams of their ceiling. Their carpet was also wet.

Great...

I'm pretty sure it was my fault for doing the airstone thing, but I'm kinda pissed at my roomates for not noticing that the aquarium was losing water (They did notice the wet carpet at 4am, but didn't bother to check). I talked to the maintenance man, and he said that they would have to do a carpet teardown, and do a mold check on the floor and ceiling. Which seems to me will cost a pretty penny. The maintenance guy was cool about it though, and basically said "**** happens." I don't have renter's insurance, so I might have to pony up some money, hopefully not too much. The maintenance guy said that this was minor compared to the one time this guy set off the sprinkers in his place (cost him 4000, but he had renters insurance), but I still think i'll have to pony up ~400-600$. GAH.

So what have I learned from this:

1. Don't keep airstones and hoses inside the tank until you are going to use them immediately.
2. Use check valves. A 2 dollar purchase can save you a life of grief and a few hundred dollars.
3. Don't expect drunk roomates to notice the obvious. (Wet floor + Less water in fishtank = ? )
4. See all 4.

Sadness! I am so annoyed! :mad:

Update:

3x dehumidifiers x 3 days + drywall cutting/replacement + carpet replacement = ~1000 $. The guy doing the carpets offered a discount if I gave him the fishtank. UGH.... I don't know how much discount he'll give me for the fishtank, but if its high enough I might bite. ****!

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2006
usacutie81 said:
Question: What's a check valve?
Water can go one way through a check valve, but not the other way. Use it if you put your pump below your aquarium, or to prevent water from flowing backwards. In the event of a power failure, water will usually go up your tubing into the pump and flood your floor, but if you have a check valve, the water stops at the valve.

Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
oooh, so since my power goes out once every couple months and my pump is below the tank I should probably get one of those, huh?

BTW, sorry bout your apartment bogdog, that really really sucks. I'd hate to be you right now (or your roommates ;) ).

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Not only is the check valve good - but you can live without it completely if you simply keep the end of the tube / air pump located higher than the water surface. All it takes is one little nail or hook from which to hang the pump - usually its power cord serves as a good way to suspend it.

Not only does it prevent those accidents, but it quiets its operation since there is no contact with a solid surface to create sympathetic acoustics.