Freshwater preadatory sharks

FiSh15

Small Fish
Mar 28, 2004
guam
Visit site
does anybody know of any freshwater predatory sharks? i'm not talking about the bala shark or red tail shark or even the bull shark. my friend has some. they circle around their prey before attacking them. i was told it my be a type of catfish with shark charateristics. just wondering if anybody would have some info on them.

FiSh15

Small Fish
Mar 28, 2004
guam
Visit site
i just saw my friend feed them today. they would bite their food then start twirling like they were in a frenzy. looks really cool. i tried looking for it on the net. all i could find is the paroon shark which isn't it.

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
I can not really think of any FW 'shark' that would be considered predatory. The only type of catfish/shark are ID sharks and columbian sharks which again are not predatory.
If you want a predatory FW fish you could always try pacu (assuming you have a big tank - which Im guessing you might if you wanted the 'sharks') or some of the more agressive chiclids :)

TIGER9

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
indiana
pacu arent predatory, they can be a bit aggressive toward some tankmates tho.
could the fish ur friend has be some sort of native species that u wouldnt find at an lfs?

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
there really isn't any freshwater preadatory sharks that i know of in the trade.
many of the fw "sharks" are highly territorial but not preadatory.
i think what angel was trying to say was bacu which are predatory south american catfish(or so i have heard,don't know much about bacu's myself)
most fw "sharks" are a kind of catfish,and most of them come from southeast asia.with the way that the asian fish trade operates,without a scientific name or location of catch it's tough to tell what fish it could be.you could have a potential tankbuster on your hands.

Pumpkin

New Fish
May 13, 2003
Far far away ...
Pacus are known to eat anything they can fit through their jaws, much like Oscars.

If you dont believe me I'd have you ask my tiger barbs, unfortunatly they have been eaten :p Big ones too ...

Originally posted by mushroomman182
that's a columbian catfish shark. i dont think they are preditory. maybe they were really starving?
yeah mine don't appear to be predetory at all either....but they do eat fairly aggressive and swim like sharks....so they are cool fish....only complaint I have is they spend a lot of time in the top of the tank swimming against the glass......I wish they would just swim around like the rest of the fish:eek:

FiSh15

Small Fish
Mar 28, 2004
guam
Visit site
its not the columbian catfish/shark. right now they're about 3-4 inches and i'm told they grow to about a foot long. they look like real sharks. i wish i had a digital camera to show you all. i'll try and borrow so i could show you all.

FiSh15

Small Fish
Mar 28, 2004
guam
Visit site
i found it on the net its scientific name is cetopsis coecutiens. you could see some pictures of it on planetcatfish.com. its common name is whale catfish. i heard its a really sensitive fish though. thanks to everyone for their help.