Freshwater Crabs

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
Ok i posted this already here but somehow it disappeared. So i am posting again. I am trying to find out if freshwater crabs can live underwater entirely or they need oxygen above water? I have read both ways so need personal experience and thoughts. I want to put one in my tank with fish but don't want to lower water just to obtain that out of water for crab thing.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Only freshwater crab tanks I've seen have places for them to get out of the water...course that doesn't mean a whole lot, I've never honestly asked. Do you have a local store you could ask?

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
assuming you are referring to fiddler crabs, yes they need to be able to access dry land. Mine I bought when i first set up my tanks and didnt know anythng about them. They can survive for quite a while in a filled tank but they will find their way out. I havent seen mine in months, they escaped and havent been seen since. But the answer to your question is yes they should be kept in a semi aquatic environment. They are actuallt brackish water as well but some folks keep them in freshwater.

xavier

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2008
My fiddlers spend 80% of their days out of water by choise.
They will come down into the tank to look for food but in general they will spend most of there life out of water.

I have a thread in freshwater general area if you want to look at pictures of my set up. :O)