Fluval Plant Stratum

Momotaro

Small Fish
Aug 4, 2011
new york
Hi All,
Was wondering if anyone uses this as their primary substrate? If so, what are your thoughts?

I'm using it for my half of my 55 and also half of my 10. It's a pain in the ass to plant but so far the plants seem to be doing well in it. Anyone know if the stratum contains nutrients?

The description of it doesn't specifically say.

M.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Ive got the shrimp stratum stuff and I like it pretty good. I think its pretty much the same as the flora. I think I read somewhere that they do have stuff for plants in it. Im growing some dwarf hair grass in it and so far this as been the first time Ive actually got it to grow and star spreading.

Momotaro

Small Fish
Aug 4, 2011
new york
So I was at an event at a local fish store this past weekend and I spoke with a rep from Hagen. I asked him specifically about the stratum and although they continued with the company line(the packaging description) when asked specifically whether it contained plant fertilizers they said it did not and that you would still have to treat the water with minerals and the like.

The guy did mention that they make the stratum from volcanic ash. Not sure if its true but that's what I've found out.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
(not taking up for Hagen in my reply) But, I don't know of any substrate that allows you not to add ferts to the water column. Most specialty plant substrates have minerals and good stuff that stays in the substrate, this really helps root feeders, but doesn't really help any plants that take most of their nutrients from the water directly. The Fluval Stratum is a bit light weight, but I do like the looks, and my plants are growing so I'm happy.

Dunno if it's ash or not, but those little balls sure crumble easy if your too rough with the stuff.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I have read (someplace, but can't remember the source) that lava makes a very good medium for the good bacteria to grow because it is porous and if you could get it where its both wet & dry it would be ideal. My question would be, all lava probably differs in chemical make up and therefore I don't know if it would affect the fish - I have several contains of lava rocks from Mt. St. Helens when it erupted and have been tempted to use it in my tanks.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I have read (someplace, but can't remember the source) that lava makes a very good medium for the good bacteria to grow because it is porous and if you could get it where its both wet & dry it would be ideal. My question would be, all lava probably differs in chemical make up and therefore I don't know if it would affect the fish - I have several contains of lava rocks from Mt. St. Helens when it erupted and have been tempted to use it in my tanks.
I wish I had some big chucks of lava rock!!!! Thats great for bacteria colonies to grow. I am sure you know about the vinegar test procedure. Do that, if its tests good stick a BUNCH in a bucket and fill with water. Let it set a couple weeks with an air stone and check the water parameters.
Also can you use this Stratum in Salt water??

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Also can you use this Stratum in Salt water??
It says specifically only for freshwater on the bag. Never kept a SW tank, but it is more corrosive in general than FW and as fragile as this stuff seems I would think it would break down pretty quick. It also says on the shrimp stratum that it helps buffer the water 'for optimum water conditions for dwarf shrimp'. Eh, whatever. Like I said, my plants are growing great and the shrimp are thriving so for me, I like the stuff. :)

Aug 19, 2011
Fluval Plant Stratum is the ideal substrate for planted aquariums, featuring a light non compacting porous structure. Its ideal properties as an aquarium substrate are highly beneficial to nitrifying bacteria which rapidly colonize the vast porous surface, providing optimal water quality for fish