Fluval 204

Didj

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
This is a new pump/filter, has been running for 6 weeks now, but i don't seem to be getting the crystal clear water that i wanted. I am running with the original packed media. also how long does it take for it to be running to its best. I have done a couple of partial water changes, but still seem to have a lot of 'floating matter' in the tank. (4 feet by 12 inch by 12 inch).  ???

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
Welcome, to Myfishtank.net  :D

First, some general questions

how long has the tank been running?
Is it cycled ?
Are there fish in it ? How many fish? How big?  Are there plants?

if your tank is not done cycling, cloudy (milky) water to some extent is normal...     now if you are talking about big particles or what not in the water, then the filter is not working right...  which leads into my second inquiry -

What is your media order ?   I am assuming sponge first, biomax second and floss last.   Where are your intakes/output ?  Try and put your intake as close to the gravel as possible, and the output spraybar/nozzle should be at the opposite end of the tank.  also the nozzle/spraybar should create a certain amount of surface aggitation, to reduce surface scum and increase o2 exchange

I understand that some Fluval '04's have a rim adapter which makes the input/output connected together, a quick slice with a hacksaw will solve this

If your intake is close to the gravel, and your filter media is setup properly the water should be clear.

Didj

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=Somonas link=board=equipment&num=1016218632&start=0#1 date=03/15/02 at 11:06:23]
Welcome, to Myfishtank.net  :D

First, some general questions

how long has the tank been running?
Is it cycled ?
Are there fish in it ? How many fish? How big?  Are there plants?

if your tank is not done cycling, cloudy (milky) water to some extent is normal...     now if you are talking about big particles or what not in the water, then the filter is not working right...  which leads into my second inquiry -

What is your media order ?   I am assuming sponge first, biomax second and floss last.   Where are your intakes/output ?  Try and put your intake as close to the gravel as possible, and the output spraybar/nozzle should be at the opposite end of the tank.  also the nozzle/spraybar should create a certain amount of surface aggitation, to reduce surface scum and increase o2 exchange

I understand that some Fluval '04's have a rim adapter which makes the input/output connected together, a quick slice with a hacksaw will solve this

If your intake is close to the gravel, and your filter media is setup properly the water should be clear.

[/quote]

ok
thanx for this reply

I am running wit the media as was supplied in this order: sponge, biomax and then bags of black carbon. the intake is at bottom right , and output to the top left, making plenty of surface aggitation.
Cycloing?? has never been mentioned to me, even by all the aquatic houses that I have visited!
I do have plants, 7 big broadleaf, and 5 smaller (getting smaller).
I have calculated that I have 42 inches of fish, not including the tails (3 clowns, 1 sucking loach, 2 plecs, 5 mollys, 5 silvertips, 1 fighter, 2 redeyes, 1 ruby shark, 3 corys, 1 angel)
as i said before the tank is now 7 weeks old.
I suppose the particles are not that big, the size of biggish grasins of sand??

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002

"You are under arrest for violating penal code 523 of the California statute for overstocking during the inital cycling period.  Please be advise there will be severe and harsh penalty for this infraction.  Please put your hands up and slowly lie on the ground"

*crazysmiley*

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=Didj link=board=equipment&num=1016218632&start=0#4 date=03/20/02 at 10:10:14]
how long should the cycling period be then?
[/quote]

It usually takes from anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks.
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/aquariumcycling/index.htm?terms=cycling

I am just saying that you might have added too many fish too soon at the same time.  This leaves very little room for error in terms if you have enough biological bacteria/filtration that can handle such a load.  Usually one should start out with a couple starter fish when the cycle is done and add a couple of fish accordingly.
Sometimes the bioload is too high and the fish produce too much waste that they could become stress because of this.
With the dimensions that you gave me, you have approximately a 26 gallon tank.  That's, IME, too much fish at this point where your water clarity and chemistry will not be the best given the amount of waste produced.