Flourite

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
I am trying this plant thing out.  So I have a 10 G. with Flourite on the bottom,  I rinsed the stuff out for a very long time before putting it in the tank.  Every time something (me, their is noting else in the tank right now) that disturbs the bottom the water turns brown all over again.  
Does this ever get better?  I am not used to this and I don't like it.  I have 3 power filters running now to get the yuck out.  I just like water I can see through.   I guess I just want to know what to expect.  

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
i have 100% flourite in my 29gallon (that's alot of flourite!).

i tried to clean it as best as i could. but no matter what, it'll still get the water dirty. what i do is try to to disturb the flourite too much. or better yet, when u clean ur tank, use a python to suck up all that gunk. i don't have that dirty water problem anymore.

johnny

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
I guess I'll just keep running the filters, 2 small whispers and a H.O.T. Mag. 350, and disturbing up the bottom for awhile.  It is temp. overkill until the water becomes clearer.

Why not put a layer of silica sand on top of the flourite,this will stop it from going into suspension.
It will be easier if you drain down to the substrate,and then introduce the silica sand, when refilling place a saucer on the bottom and replace water directed onto the saucer,this way you should not disturb the substrate too much.

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Thats too much work. Just get a plastic bag, put some sand in cut a hole in a corner of the bag and let the sand pour out where you want it, without making too much of a mess. If you have decorated a cake think of it as a large icing bag ( don't eat the sand :) ).

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
malerubybarb,

i think i used about 3 bags of flourite? took a very long time to clean.

about 4+inches in the back and it slopes down toward the front. but after much planting and removing plants, it seems to have flatten out.

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
sand might work.. but its not necessary.  I've got 100% flourite and all I did was wait it out.  The particles should eventually settle.

even if you do use sand... you'll have to wait until all the particles settle anyways.

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
I didn't use the sand.  All the filters I had on it helped finaly.  So now I have plants and pinapple, maragold and black swordtails.  All are doing wonderful right now.