Fish Suggestions for a beginner tank

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=Disco link=board=saltwater&num=996459861&start=0#14 date=08/02/01 at 14:14:31]
Ownedbykitten, dont clownfish need anenomes to thrive? About the tap water purifier, I had that on one of my previous discus tanks and the D.I. cartiridge lasted me 15 gallons! So now I've decided to get one of the bare bones TFC units by Kent since their are many pollutants in my tap water. How many pounds of live rock to I need? I guess the live rock is not that big of an issue becuase my brother works at a Fish Store and one of their suppliers sells Fiji Live Rock for 9.00/lb but he gets a 20% discount, thats 7.20/lb. The savings really add upp after several pounds. And plus, I'd rather get it where I can go pick it up instead of having it shipped and risking any die-offs- is that a common thing? What foods do the clownfish like best? Since I got advice from all of you, I changed my setup: 2 Rio 80 gph water pumps focused at the live rock, back pack protein skimmer, pH buffer, Bare Bones R.O. unit, Reef Crystals Salt, Hyrdrometer, and I think I covered everything. Also, do I add the live rock all at once or do I slowly add it over several weeks? Now that I've been corrected, I was thinking of getting a clownfish and a firefish, and due to the small amount of bio-load, is one 50% water change per month enough?
[/quote]

Ok, you set up looks great. With that skimmer, you should be able to get by nicely with only about a 20% change once a month. You should start with about 20 lbs of rock. Don't waste any money on meds, until you need them. I use copper for nearly everything :))) but that requires a seperate hospital tank, as copper kills inverts.

When you add the live rock, you can add it all at once to cycle the tank. Monitor the levels (ammo, nitrite, nitrate), and do water changes after the rock has cycled to get your nitrate under 10 ppm.

Heh... Here, fiji live rock retails for $8.88 a lb Canadian. I get it for $3.50 a lb :D (thats only $2.30 a lb US :D). Your brothers discount sucks :p

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
That is pretty expensive for live rock.  I have been in the reefcentral forums and most of them were selling theres only 2-4 bucks maximum per lb.  Definitely check for people who have left the hobby of reefkeeping or had to move and you get a really good deal.  The best deal are the ones that kept their live rock for years and have a lot of critters grown on them.
I remember there were some online sites that sell really good live rock for cheap even after the shipping costs.

Disco

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hey, no need for the insults people. Obviously you guys dont live in Chicago because the stuff is really expensive here so thats why I get everything mail-order. 7-9 bucks per each pound is a commonplace here. And plus, I dont want to get it through mail-order because of too much die-off becuase I live in the midwest. Im right halfway through hte country becuase all of these places are either on the east or west coasts or close to them.

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=Disco link=board=saltwater&num=996459861&start=15#23 date=08/20/01 at 19:11:53]
Hey, no need for the insults people. Obviously you guys dont live in Chicago because the stuff is really expensive here so thats why I get everything mail-order. 7-9 bucks per each pound is a commonplace here. And plus, I dont want to get it through mail-order because of too much die-off becuase I live in the midwest. Im right halfway through hte country becuase all of these places are either on the east or west coasts or close to them.
[/quote]

Um, you do understand that the rock is shipped to chicago as well... exact same amount of die off... buy precured rock mail order, it will still have enough die off to cycle the tank in part. The rock is shipped the same distance regardless, you won't get to pick your pieces, but they will be nicer than the ones you will choose your first time buying rock (most people buy just that, rocks, they don't have the 'skill' to pick out great pices by sight.