fish in 10 gal with male betta?

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Im going to move my betta from his 2.5 gallon into a 10 gallon. What other fish wont get beat up by the betta if I put them in there? Is it ok to have like 2 ottos in there?

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Your betta will be so much happier in that 10 gallon. The ottoes will be fine. It also really all depends on the betta because some of them are very aggressive and some are peaceful. I have put mine in community tanks always but my flagfish recently attacked mine. I have had my betta get attacked worse than the betta attacking anything else. I would also consider getting some cories too. They will somtimes flare at them but they never do anything. Cories are great fish. ;D

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
my betta doesnt seem too aggressive...i put a mirror up to his tank and he didnt even flair up. But when I put guppy fry in there he ate them =]. If I get some female bettas do I have to worry about them reproducing? I really dont want to have fish reproducing. I think that one of my neon tetras is going to have babies soon!

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Male and female bettas can't be in the same tank. He will kill her. That's almost a proven for me. Females are really peaceful and you can keep as many of them in there as you want but not with males. And only one male per tank whick I'm sure you know. HTH ;D

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I think your wrong about the male female thing? I have heard of other people on here talking about keeping a couple females with 1 male in a tank. I cant believe the male would kill all the females .. otherwise how would they ever reproduce?

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I may be but I am 99.9% sure I'm not as this HAS happened to me. If they're keeping two females and one male together then they're either really lucky or have the separated somehow. As for the reproducing thing bettas are not like most fish they don't reproduce and both take care of the fry. The male will build a bubble nest and the female will find him (this is in the wild now) and they will mate and she'll put some eggs in the nest for him. They she will swim away when they're done. When breeding them at home you must remove the female right after she lays the eggs so the male doesn't kill her. They the male will put the eggs into the nest and take care of them until the hatch. After that he leaves the alone. In the home breeding you remove him as soon as the fry hatch so he doesn't kill them. I hope that kinda proves my point. ;D