First post - and I'm already needing help!!

Dec 17, 2009
Hello,

I hope you can help. One of my latest additions (added a week ago) is looking and behaving ill. Just tested the water twice and the results are all normal.

I have a pair of Pearl Gouramis and one has changed in the past 12 hours - it isn't swimming much, it rests on the bottom or on plants, when it does swim to the top it then nosedives back tot he bottom, it has darkened in colour on the top of it dramatically, it has swollen around the stomach and its eyes are much darker. The other gourami keeps nipping at it and nudging it.

Here's some images and a link to a short video clip of it.

I apologise for such a pleading first post, I referred to this forum somuch when I was setting up my new aquarium over the past 2 months - I'd sincerely appreciate advice. I don't currently have another tank to seperate it into.

Thank you,
Jane

Images and video here:
https://iainandjane.backpackit.com/pub/1906141-fish

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Is it a tall tank? i believe gouramies would be better off in a longer, shallow tank. might be a swim bladder problem, no idea. could be some strange disease..
but what do you mean that your water tests as normal? i know this is going to sound like i dont trust you, but what are the exact levels lol

Dec 17, 2009
Thanks guys. Unfortunately he didn't make it through the night. I'd love to understand what happened though so I can hopefully avoid it happening again. I found him this morning hidden at the bottom of the tank.

By normal, what I meant was that I was getting the levels that my lfs advised me was correct for my setup. I don't have the readings here with me but can post them later.

I've stocked the tank slowly after a 5 week cycle and have been following weekly advice from my lfs because I wanted to make sure I had a safe and healthy enviromment for my fish.

The tank is now stocked with 6 penguin tetras, which have all seemed fine since they arrived, plus one juvenile catfish and, until today, 2 perl guarmis. Now there's just the one perl, sadly. It was explained to me that in time I'll need to move some of these guys up to a larger tank but this is my first and I want to get some knowledge and experience for myself before running multiple tanks.

Obviously too late to help save him but I do want to keep an eye on my remaining pearl and know what to look for and what to do in case the same thing happens to him.

I also don't know if I should be adding another pearl for the sake of my one remaining, as I understand they should be kept in pairs? Or should I be letting things settle down and keeping an eye on my existing fish before even considering adding anyone new? I'm trying very hard to do the right thing!

Thanks again so much for helping out a new guy...
Jane

Dec 14, 2009
England
this behavior is exactly what i saw in a fish developing dropsy.. but i dont think that is it.. im stumped lol sorry bout the pearl, i have 2 gouramis of my own and they are one of my fave fish, a Cosby and a Dwarf.. good luck for the future :)

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
sounds like your 1 gourami was being very territorial and beating on the other one. SOME people have successfully kept more than 1 gourami in a tank together. all gourami's including the peaceful ones will get territorial and a little more aggressive. this is EXACTLY what happened to my neon blue dwarf when i had a more dominating opaline gourami in there and i had a gold in there to and both were constantly picked on by the opaline. its there nature and most fish i believe its called pecking order or something like that. your gouramis will go to the top and breathe air (as they have to do this to be able to live which is very unique about gouramis) and then after they get a breath of air they shoot down to the bottom. ive seen that with all the gouramis ive owned in the past in my 55g. ive owned 2 different opaline, 2 gold, 2 blue, and 1 neon blue dwarf gourami. gouramis can act like bettas do and fight or one will pick on the other one until it dies. it will keep it from eating, chase the other around the tank, and peck at them. YOU MAY NOT SEE this as i noticed that when the light goes out they seem to be more aggressive and pick on others more. maybe this all is the reason i may be wrong but thought i would share with you my knowledge and experience on gouramis

also another thing that helps multiple gouramis in 1 tank is, hiding spots so the other one doesnt see the other and they are less likely to beat on each other. by the pics looked like your tank was pretty open