Finally!

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
Yeah! Finally i got a discus for my tank!!!he is a cobalt blue discus and is about 2.5 inches. He is active and healthy, I think.But, just to make sure would you give your opinions on these parametersof the tank :)

Ph: 6.3
                     Dh: 4
                     ammonia:0.0
                     Nitrite: very little

So how does this sound ???

Thanks for your help ;D ;D
                        Daniel

R

ronrca

Id be a little worried about the nitrite level. Be sure to watch it very close and try to get rid of it asap. Otherwise it sound good.

Dinocine

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
only 1 ??? other type of tankmates not withstanding, and it may be budget that is concerned, but discus normally doesn't do well and get stressed up very easily if kept alone. someone wrote that discus is king of sissy, but i only agree in part and rather bestow the title to crown loach which i almost strangled when i kept those clowns.

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
Budget is concerned alot with me because i am 11 yrs old and i do not have a income at all. ;D If i were to put something in there(besides clown loaches and another discus ,bc of financial thing again) what would i put in there??? Maybe half a dozen neons or cardinal tetras *thumbsdown2*  *thumbsup2* or maybe some cories *celebratesmiley*Please respond :)

thanks,
                            Daniel

Dinocine

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pro breeders would never put any other type of tankmates with discus, but for us, small, non agressive and not very active fish can provide good companionship. Neon is good choice, but never angel fish because there's lotsa claims that it passes kind of disease to discus. cory is fine, but not sucker because it may attach to the discus' body. whatever you choose, it is best the type that suits your water temperature that you keep your discus in.

Oct 22, 2002
my 3" discus loves to eat neons, so i don't recommend putting them or cardinals in there:)
try something like a congo tetra or two.
Also, while discus are obviuosly affected by your water params nitrate/ite, ammonia, ph, they also are greatly affected by the use of tap water vs RO water.

R

ronrca

Really? Your discus eats neons? How big are the neons? I have 6 discus, some 4-5" big and they dont bother the cardinals at all. The cardinals are too quick for them. Interesting!

eseow

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Discus should also be kept at a temperature of 84-86 degrees. Will take 5.0 to 6.6 PH and would not recommend any other fish, due to chance of catching something from the other fish. If PH is keep at 6.5, you could place clown loach, since its a warmer temperature fish, and is supposed to be water sensitive also. *crazysmiley*

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
[quote author=tabby360 link=board=discus&num=1014420602&start=0#7 date=04/23/02 at 13:57:18]
Hey Daniel how do you get your P.H so low mines like 7.6.

I always Wanted discus but im not ready, and i dont have a nice size tank.
[/quote]

I usually have to help it out a bit with Sodium Biphosphate and i try to put comboba in the tank bc it seems to take out some of the unwanted  minerals *twirlysmiley*

Actually, i am thinkin' of getting another discus for a tankmate bc i am getting a job this summer. :) I would also like to try breed them. But, for now he is gonna have to be by himself.

Thnks everybody for all the post and advice,
                     Daniel *celebratesmiley*