FINALLY I GOT MY BETTA!!!

Papillon

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2003
Montclair, NJ
Visit site
Hi,

Yes yes, I AM on my way to getting my 29 gallon tank!! EXCEPT I couldn't take it anymore, and caved to instant gratification!!! I "rescued" a betta (Lancelot is his name if you please:) He is blue/red/purple and gorgeous.

I bought a two gallon tank/kit for now only. He is in a large bowl right now, since last night, as I am waiting for the water temp to reach room temp. He is eating well and looks up every time I walk by! He is also making lots of bubbles...

I feel sorry for him at the moment, but don't dare put him in the tank till this evening. I made the BIG mistake of buying bottled water out of the fridge, because they didn't have room temp.... I know I know..

I figured he would be alright in this small tank for a month or so, before going into his "Palace".

I also fell in love with the gouramis yesterday (neon and sparkling) so can't wait to get them, and be all set up.

I picked out all the correct, lighting, gravel. food, filters etc etc, now it's a matter of timing, BUT I WILL GET THERE!!!!!

Thanks for listening to my drivle... Oh Lancelot is eating, brine shrimp (frozen kind) and pellets made for Betta, eats everything!! If he is making bubbles does this mean he is happy???

M..

Eli916

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
CT
i was thinking about getting a betta too..do they really need their own tank??!! Cause i've heard u can keep them in lilly bowls or something? is that true...I'd think bubbles is a good sign he's happy...maybe hes trying to talk to ya but its only coming out in bubbles...haha (or not) but ya know... ya never know
~Elizabeth

May 28, 2003
Food Chain, Ontario
Visit site
Labyrinth fish like bettas and gouramis have an extra organ that allows them to breathe oxygen from the surface of the water - hence the bubbles.

Yes a betta should have his own tank - some can be kept in community tanks, if they're the non-militant kind, unlike mine who is purely evil. A bowl really isn't sufficient space for him to swim around in. I have a 2.5g and he is perfectly happy in there, so you don't need anything really large.

Papillon

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2003
Montclair, NJ
Visit site
I am "floating" the bowl at the moment, and will transfer him in 15 minutes. I can't stand it anymore, poor little guy, I know he will be MUCH happier in his tank.... Should I turn the tank light on or will that scare him too much?

Marie

Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Cause i've heard u can keep them in lilly bowls or something?

to answer your question Eli916 i know several people who put their fish in a little vase thing. At the top a plant grows hydroponiclly and the roots inside the bowl give the betta a hiding place. The bowls come in several sizes, i know some that are actually quite big...