Fiddler Crabs

Nov 8, 2012
I'm very new to keeping aquatic pets. I've had a beta fish for a few months, he lives in his own little bowl and seems to be doing fine. I recently bought a couple fiddlers. The one I bought a few weeks ago, Alfie, seems to be doing fine but the one I bought last week, Sylvia, was found bottom up this morning. :( I think this might have to do with me trying to catch them last night to let them out of the tank and just play with them I guess (childish I know). I think I might have stressed her and now I feel very bad. However, she's always acted much different from Alfie and I bought them both at Walmart. When I saw her in the tank there, she was running around frantically, trying to get out. Knowing that they need dry land and seeing her in there with no access to it, I impulsively bought her. She's always had more energy but now she's dead after only one week. I keep the water brackish with special aquarium salt. I don't have an filter in my set up though. The house is also only kept at 70 degrees and I'm worried that this isn't warm enough. Can I get some pointers for proper set up for fiddler crabs that won't require a filter, or is a filter necessary? It's exclusively for crabs. I would say about one foot by two feet, squared. Is Sylvia dead or molting? What's the proper way of disposing of dead fiddlers? Is there anything that I should never feed to them? (I have sinking food that I crush up and sometimes put in lady bugs.)

Thanks for your help :)

I also have a question about Alfie. This crab has only one claw but it's the smaller size. I don't know whether it's male or female, can females have only one claw?

Hanna87

Medium Fish
Mar 21, 2011
Iowa
Female fiddler crabs have both small claws, males just have the one larger. I only know this because I googled it last week thinking it would be a nice pet for my 5 year old. Decided agaist it since the web site I found said they usually dont live long in captivity.