Female bettas

FishQueen

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
No barbs!!! Barbs will nip betta's fins and the bettas will become agressive. How big of a bowl? I wouldn't put one in less than a one gallon... prefferably more.

equinom

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The Blue Planet
I have not seen a female B. Splen with the flowing fins of the male. The reading I have done leads me to believe females do not get long fins. What species are you referring to? - I'de like to see what they look like.

Several female B. Splen together is no problem - I have females in a tank with barbs - haven't had any problems yet and it's been months.

But those TBs - my experience is they'll nip anything they can catch!

Mar 11, 2003
Your main problem are the barbs and Loach. Loaches can get quite big and can turn "mean" on other fish. Female bettas do usually have shorter fins, but one of mine had fins like a male! I have 3 in a ten gallon with 2 cories (youa re supposed to have 3 or more, but one died). But the females should not be in a bowl less than 1 or 2 gallons.

Alexa

-2 female bettas
-1 male betta
-2 cories

Wormo3188

Large Fish
Apr 6, 2003
New York
Visit site
I have a similar question, I have an extra 5g tank with two corys, there used to be 6, but they all died within a day of bringing them home.

How many female bettas can be kept in this size tank? Are they similar to the males in that they will fight with each other?

Mar 11, 2003
Some females might be aggressive, but most can live peacefully with others. I have a 10 gallon community tank and it used to have 4 female bettas, two cories, and a baby pleco. Now it only has 2 cories and 2 females, because of velvet and I had to start all over.

The general rule is 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon of water. But being these are female bettas, it would be 1 inch/1.5 gallons. So in a 5 gallon I would put 3 MAYBE 4. But considering you have cories...I would recommend 3. Anyway, make sure you don't add them all at once because it might cause an ammonia inbalance. Quarentining will help pace you. Get a female, quarentine it for 2 weeks, release it in the tank. Get a female, quarentine it, release it. This way you are not overloading the biological nitrate cycle.

Good luck!

Alexa