Female Betta

feliciae

Medium Fish
Jun 29, 2010
Alright. I was planning on breeding my betta fish a few weeks agao, but due to the amount of money and time and effort involved I have decided against it.
But my female betta seems swolen with eggs, and her opivisor is very clear when I look at her. she is placed in a 1 1/2 gallon hex tank near a boy, but that is only because my counter space at the moment is limited. He isn't blowing any bubble nests but he frequently flares at her and she flares back.

What should I do?

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
lol just leave her be and move her away once desk space allows or put a barrier between them now. allow them to see each other around once a week for a few hours just to keep them interested.

in terms of eggs she will reabsorb them into her body or just lay them and eat them to recycle energy.

you are right about breeding them, it does take a load of time dedication and certainly money.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yeah that does make the matching and breeding part a bit easier but still the fry rearing part is very difficult, and thats what takes the most money anyway. grow -out setups are time consuming and expensive.

feliciae

Medium Fish
Jun 29, 2010
I just can't afford to have adleast 200 1 gal jars in my home, plus I hardly have the room.
I would love to, but I would need to do water changes every week of adleast 50%, I need to make sure that they have food and all that jazz, and I need to find homes for them all afterword.
Just too difficult.

and I can't even get a bubble nest outa my boy. He is not intrested other than to show off to her.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
lol keep their water very clean, meaning no ammonia or nitrite and nitrate as close to 0 as you can. blackwater extract helps too, just dont overdose it.

as a 1 gal jar alternative, back when i was breeding my plakats, I got a bunch of 32oz plastic deli cups (you know those salad cups that you use at a salad bar to get stuff like pickles and pickled tomatos) and those worke well for holding one male betta each. females would be ok in a large growout tank, but like i said its all this tanks stuff that takes money =/.
you made the right choice. when you have more time and money and room to do this its a really great experience tho cuz its very challenging. every Betta is different :)