feeding tropical fish

jo2010

New Fish
May 18, 2011
On searching the net I have seen a pic of a pleco eating a slice of cucumber is this safe to put in the tank, I know i used to have a giant gourami who loved eating bananas out of my fingers but I have never put anything other than fish food from the pet shop in the tank.

May 4, 2011
Ohio
From what I have heard, fish food should be vac'ed out in 5 minutes, except bottom feeder pellets. Fresh/frozen veggies can be in the tank for 4 hours, or overnight to remove snails. I would assume they break down much slower as they are not dehydrated and processed to increase shelf life. Research your fish though, not just plecos and gouramis like veggies, a lot of fish will eat them.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello ; While you can vacuum out fish food, I never have. I try to be careful when feeding and about one day a week do not feed at all. Some times every third day if I have done a heavy feedings . The non feeding day will be occupied by the fish in searching out all the bits.

I also have a population of trumpet snails and ramshorn snails that will search out the smallest bits that the fish may miss.