Feeding Corydoras pygmaeus

Jan 1, 2010
I'm not sure if my Pygmy Cories are getting enough food. I rarely see them–they're usually hiding among the driftwood and roots of java fern.

However, when they do pop up, they look pretty blanched. I try to drop 1/2 a Hikari Bottom Feeder Tablet every 3 days, but it seems to just sit on the river bed gravel and I end up suctioning it back up after a couple hours.

Last week, we got a couple Amano Shrimp to tackle our algae problem. Today, when I dropped 1/2 a tablet into the tank, after the table dissolved a bit the two shrimp each grabbed 1/2 of the 1/2 tablet (that's 1/4 tablet each for those who want to do the math) and ran off with it to the top of some java leaves and driftwood cave like a dog with a bone. They just sat in their hideaway with a big ol' tablet chunk in their mouths, gnawing away at it.

Any other ideas to feed the 2 Cories? Or should I not worry, because they've been in there for 2 months and they're not dead yet.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Not sure if your cories are totally okay, please let someone else here chime in who has more experience with bottom feeders.
But because I have three wee cories myself in my community tank that have been hale and hearty since my startup ten months ago, I might ask - do you ever feed your tank frozen bloodworms? I do that maybe three or four times a week, and many sink to the bottom and are immediately gobbled by my cories. They have never eaten the sinking wafers I keep trying to give them - my pearl gouramis go mental over them instead!
Also, have you ever tried micropellets for your other fish? That's my maintenance diet for the tank. Quite a few sink before my surface fish get to them, and my cories get really squirrelly nosing around the gravel where those micropellets have fallen . . . .
Just a couple of thoughts.

erc2995

Small Fish
Mar 13, 2010
i have the same problem i put sinking pellets in but i have to mollies with that like to eat and when i feed the cories just sit there even if a flake lands right infront of them they never seem to even try and search for food i had 3 but 1 died a few days ago and i dont know about the other 2