feeder

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I heard only goldfish isn't a good diet for them, that you should vary it. maybe breed some guppies? and raw meat is a good idea, if they'll eat it....like beef heart? or was that for discus?

Feb 2, 2003
North Dakota
If you are going to feed them just goldfish, you should atleast have a seperate "feeder tank" if you don't already. A tank that you can put the feeders in when you first buy them, this way you will know if they carry any dieases before you put them in the tank. Also with the good food you will be giving them, it will really up^ there nutrional value for the piranhas. I do this for my barracuda.

valdok

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Chicago, Illinois
val.textdrive.com
Beef heart, beef, i've even heard chicken (not sure how good it is for them though). Since they are carnivores, it is important to feed them the right meats. Worms, crushed snails, etc. here is a good list:

http://www.geocities.com/heartland/prairie/5962/Feeding.html

it's also a good idea to take whatever food they don't eat out of the tank (if you don't already). that should reduce the cloudiness.

Jul 16, 2003
www.piranha-fury.com
I guess it really depends on the fish. I have had some species of piranha that would only eat live food and for those I fed goldfish and worms and they seemed to do fine. It is usually pretty easy to get them to eat other meats and most of mine really like shrimp, smelt, and catfish filets. Some will eat beef heart which is very good for them but is a hit or miss on whether they will accept it or not.