Feed your Plecos!

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
I find posts on fish forums everywhere about "algae eaters" and how they keep croaking on people.

So I said to myself ;

"SELF.... Why don't people properly feed their fish?"

Well the answer in short is most people don't buy from knowledgeable people and well they don't get any knowledge there...

MOST plecos you are going to find when you are out and about are omnivores.

This means that they eat animal and plant matter. Generally this includes insect larve, fish eggs, dead fish, plants, moss etc.

Ok so you can't toss a pleco in your tank and throw him a Wardlys algae wafer every few days and HOPE he will live. That's not how it works.

So whats a hobbyist to do?

1. buy high quality sinking protein wafers ( look at the ash content, ASH = BAD). Feed 20 minutes after the lights go out near where your plec hides. Hopefully your other fish are resting and won't steal his food, my Africans listed below steal these and swim off with them, very annoying.

2. Feed veggies. My plecs like Zucchini, potatoes (not as much as the Zuch) Romaine, and Green peppers. For a decent sized fish I would say toss 1/4 of a zucchini anchored down (use a natural colored rubber-band) to a piece of slate or broken clay pot piece every other day. I like to do this durring the day because I like to watch them eat. Take the leftovers out when they are done <6 hours or it will turn to mush and make a mess. (wrap the other 3/4 in papertowel and throw it in a baggie in the fridge)

So try this tonight, you will be AMAZED how much your pleco eats.

Good, now feed them regularly and they could possibly outlive you! :)