Extra 25g

Oct 22, 2002
I have an extra 25g eclips. I was thinking of trying my had at SW. I would like to put in an anemone and 1 or two clowns and some kind of mobile invert. What equiptment do I need to get this tank running? I know I need more light I was thinking of putting in one PC of about 55w or somthing like that pluse the two 15w flor.

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=JustSpongeIt link=board=saltwater&num=996542329&start=0#0 date=07/30/01 at 18:18:49]
I have an extra 25g eclips. I was thinking of trying my had at SW. I would like to put in an anemone and 1 or two clowns and some kind of mobile invert. What equiptment do I need to get this tank running? I know I need more light I was thinking of putting in one PC of about 55w or somthing like that pluse the two 15w flor.
[/quote]

An anemone would require both an experienced aquarist, and more light. A 175 metal halide is more like it to be honest. 85 watts you can keep mushrooms, polyps, and some soft corals.

STEP ONE: By a few books. Every $1 you spend on books will save you $5 in the long run. Conscientious Marine Aquarist, by Robert Fenner is a personal recommendation.

Take the ecplise, buy some sand (preferably live sand), some live rock, a heater, salt, a hydrometer, and two small powerheads and cycle the tank using dead cocktail shrimp. (two or three large).  After that you should get a skimmer, say a prizm, nothing cheaper does an effective job. Then you can buy a nice clownfish. Once you get used to keeping the clown, you can try your hand at other small fish, as long as you read a fair bit about them first, to make sure you can handle that species. Mobile inverts, read about them too, then try the ones you like, and have read will go well together.