Endler Pregnant?

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Hi I was just wondering if there are any signs of a guppy being pregnant besdes a fat belly. Also, at what point would I move the Endler into a breeding net? Thanks!

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
A sign a livebearer is pregnant is if it's in the same tank as a male for more than 10 minutes. :D

I think it's still supposed to be around every 25 to 28 days for endlers. You could either make a quick DIY tank out of a sponge filter and a clear plastic tub or collect the fry in a mesh net after they're born. I don't suggest putting them in breeders due to the stress of a confined space. Just add a large quantity of hiding spots, or, if you go the DIY tank method, a mesh big enough for the babies to fall through, but not big enough for the mother to get through.

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Ok thanks for the fast reply! I'm really new to livebearers so I'll probably just leave them in the tank, there are a lot of plants and a rock with a bunch of little fry sized holes ( as you can see in my signature). I would set up a tub tank, but It would probably take more time to establish media then for her to give birth. I'll definately look into that though, thanks!

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
I just used dirty tank water and some gravel in my plastic tub for a week while the filter took the beneficial bacteria in the water and gravel. Insta-cycle.

If you set one up now with a sponge filter running in the main tank you'd have one when needed....and with livebearers you'll be using it a lot.

For example, mosquitofish, which are sort of like half-sized endlers, breed so fast that many places have started banning them. Australia has had issues with imported mosquitofish eating all the killifish eggs and endangering species.

Edit: With your tank though, there's really no need. It looks like you got more plant than fish in that tank.