eh... it's fair season again

well as we all know, fall is in the air.. whats that mean to fish? lots of goldfish being won at local fairs. I hate this because i cringe as i see the punk teenagers (tho im a teenager myself) walking around with multable bags of goldfish as they run around swinging them... i always think to myself, do they relize they now have a responcibility? do they have a 10gallon tank to put them in?(remember, thats the "rule of thumb" for goldfish) do they have fish food? ill never forget the day i ran into a guy i went to school with, and he started wacking his goldfish bag on a curb as i pleaded with him if i could have the goldie... i told him i will but it in my pond and give it a happy long life... he just chuckled at me as he continued to beat up his fish, he then held up the back and said "now do you want him" the fish was now half dead, gills still moving but laying on the bottom of the bag on his side *thumbsdow i think that tramatized me... i also once saw a dead goldfish on the ground at a fair... does "winning" goldfish bother anyone elce?

OMG! Yes - it does. Where i'm from we don't do that though - it's not a tradition to give out goldfish, it may even be illegal, i'm not sure, never seen it though AND i go to nearly every fair! (love the rides, wheeee). I think it is disgusting! I would've smacked that guy down on the kerb! Stupid, ignorant people. Pfft!

humm thats odd, its a big crazy in pa... almost ever fair is bound to have ATLEAST 1 "win a goldfish" stand... the most common game is paying a dollar and getting a bucket of 10 pin-pong balls and throw them to try to make it into these little fish bowls lined up, however many you get in, is how many fish you get... i see that some people are very good, or play the game several times (carring lots of bags around)... i think it must be illigal where your from, because if a very popular game!

mamba

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
Pennsylvania
guppo i reccomend the bloomsburg fair... its always fun.. im going this year the wife took off the week of the fair so me the wife and kids will all be going ... they got all kinds of stuff at that fair .. including the monster trucks here is the link to the official website. i only live like 15 minutes from this place .. http://www.bloomsburgfair.com/

mamba

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
Pennsylvania
i love that fair. it has alot of animal shows and the monster truck show is pretty cool i think they also got a demo derby. the food is great people from all over goes there . though i dont see many gold fish venders. im not a big fan of goldies .. but hey to each their own. i do go for the food though and some of the side shows.. i do ocasionally play games.. this year im probably going to be playing the games alot to win the wife and kids those stuffed animals

Lots of vendors have stepped up to bettas. They're prettier, people are much more willing for a chance at a colourful betta.
Some of these people's hearts are in the right place. As one fella told me, "All they need to live happy is about 2" of water so all you really need is that cup he's in now". :(
If only folks knew that for the price of a few balls and a shot at possibly winning a goldfish or betta you could get yourself 2 bettas or at least 30 of those feeder quality goldfish. :rolleyes:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
One fair I was at had the goldfish as the small prize, and the large prize was the bowl (maybe 1 gallon). Not a healthy environment for a big, messy fish...

Aug 20, 2005
Florida
www.myspace.com
hey hey hey.. goldfish aren't messy.. just high matience... they are special fish for special people.. okay fine they are messy.. i'm just sticking up for them cause i love them lol

My goldfish aren't messy.. very neat actually.. they just require some extra attention.

i haven't seen goldfish at any fairs in years... when i was little we had something like that, man i hated it... you have all these peopel with bags of fish.. for hours upon hours walking around... cause their lil one wanted a pet.. ughhhh... it should be outlawed.. animal cruelty...