Eggs

R

ronrca

My discus layed eggs yesterday. I cant believe it. I thought that discus were "hard" to breed. It is a perception that one gets from reading many things about Discus and I do agree that discus require a little more care perhaps than other fish. However, if someone really enjoys fish as a hobby and educations himself, "difficult" fish are not difficult. One doesnt see an additional water chang or extra care to be more work. I guess I'll wait to see if they hatch though. I truly love my discus fish and I am glad that Joe encouraged me to get Discus. Thanx Joe!

R

ronrca

Well, as luck would have it (or not have it), my excitment was premature.  :'( When I came home yesterday from work, the eggs were gone  :'(. Im assuming that they were eaten for some reason. O well! Maybe next time. Anyone have any thoughts about why?

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Well I have heard that discus eggs are prone to fungal infections (don't quote me on that though!) and if they do become infected they are infertal and the parents will just eat the eggs. Even if they don't get an infection I know they will eat them if they're infertal anyways so don't worry. Since it was they're first time you just have to give them time. Good luck later on though. What kind of discus are they? :D

Do not be upset by this, it is quite usual for discus to eat their eggs, they will do this for many reasons, immature pairs that have never bred doing a practice run, infertile eggs in which case the female will eat the eggs to put the protein back into her body.
Be patient and you will be rewarded with a wondrous sight, I know from experience that it really is something to see. 8)

R

ronrca

Im not worried! I wasnt even expecting them to lay eggs anyways so I was pleasantly surpised. In fact, I didnt even try any thing of the kind to breed them. Im actually trying to renovate the tank into a planted tank. Im happy that my discus are being taken care of well enough for them to lay eggs. Im always worried that Im not doing something right.

Dinocine

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
how many discus were in the tank where those eggs were spawned. besides the 2 reasons mentioned, parent discus may consume the eggs if they think that they are incapable to protect it. did you change the water after you saw those eggs[why is my shift button not working]. it is advised not to do so until the fry are free swimming beacuse they are very delicate and sensitive to slightest change in the water conditions. and if the eggs turn 'bad' because of that, the eggs may be eaten as mentioned by clothahump.

R

ronrca

No need to worry Dino! My discus have layed eggs almost every week after a water change but eat them soon afterwards. A couple of reasons, firstly they are in my community planted tank with 4 more discus, a ram, otto, and saes. Secondly because my water is too hard, 180ppm. Thanks anyhow. I now have the breeding pair in a 30G and I am adjusting the water slowly so that they can breed. Patience is the key.

Dinocine

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
you're sure on the right path ron. you are right that besides crowded environment the couple was in, the hardness of your water might be the culprit of infertile eggs, reason was that the outer layer of the eggs would be hardened therefore the big 's' of the papa discus couldn't penetrate and fertilise it. i missed out one peculiar reason that eggs are eaten in a case, it is the perpetual eggs eater. it seems unlikely discus may behave like the notorious guppies, but it does exist amongst discus. i hope that is not the case of yours, if not you may want to stop breeding that couple after several faulty attemps. patience is the key and luck be with you.