Easy Photo ID?

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
Just did some digging based on those names - It does look close, but the skin patterning I kept finding was brown spots on a yellow/gold background - mine is gold/yellow spots on a brown background.

I've also noticed lately that it has some ability to change color. Regions of it's back can darken, the gold spots almost disappearing. Other times it seems like the colors get a dusty-looking light gray. Not sure what stimulates the color changes, but I have noticed his patterns are sharpest if he hasn't noticed you watching.

Now I did run into one reference so far, on a french web page - it features a photo of a young fish with the exact same patterning. The photo has "Glyptoperichthys Josleimaianus" printed on it, and a copyright tag for "Cyberfish".

I ran the text through a translator, and it looks like the author recommends a tank size of 1000 liters... so I guess I'm going to have to convert the spare bedroom into a room-sized tank or something, I dunno.

Searching for more info...

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
Perhaps Pure can confirm some of my information then - here's what I have so far.

Looks like the spelling on that photo I found might have been wrong - I'm getting a lot more hits for "Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus", with lots of photos that match mine. The species name seems to be tagged 'Weber, 1991' consistently.

Common names include Gold Spot Pleco, L001 / L022, or Marbled Sailfin Pleco. The majority of the references I'm finding indicate it'll get up to about 12". I've been trying to find the differences between L001 and L022, but I'm not having much luck - something to do with the patterns. Amusingly, PlanetCatfish.com has a photo gallery that shows all the Lxxx designations with photos - it uses the same photo for L001 and L022.

Thank you for the tip Dino, it put me in the right direction.

Oh yeah - 1000 liters is probably extreme - I'm finding other references suggesting a minimum tank size of about 200 liters, four feet long.

Edit: 1000+ liters is probably the recommended size tank if you want any hope of breeding them - to quote the info from PlanetCatfish.com:

"Although commercially farmed, spawning in a home aquarium would be very difficult to achieve as a large wall of mud (I.E. a river bank) is tunnelled into and used for the incubation / hatching process. Large tunnels and fish would be required in a super-size aquarium."

Last edited:

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
While I'm on the subject here actually, I have a question about this guy.

Driftwood would be a good addition to my tank for this guy, wouldn't it?

I'm probably just going to head up to the local PetSmart and see what they have. What precautions should I be taking? Is there something I should know about driftwood, but probably don't? Does one QT a piece of wood?