dying pvc

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I've never heard of using rit dye for PVC... Interesting. It's a fabric dye and I get it at walmart. Works well on fiberous things like leather, wood and of course fabrics... Not to sure about plastics though... Please do post how it works if you decide to try it :).

You could use Krylon Fusion spray paint. Many a reef tank uses it so I would definitely call it fish safe. Once it's completely dry just give it a good soak in freshwater before using.

Chris

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
As Chris said, Rit Dye is a fabric dye and just look for it at any general department stores or grocery stores.

If the spray paint works, I would use that. (First time I've heard of that, I'll keep it in mind). Depending on the size PVC to be dyed, you need a pot large enough to stick it in the boiling dye, and the boiling water WILL warp the PVC to some degree. I've had some pieces unusable and had to start agian. But the end result is worth it if your willing to go though it.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Here's a link...

We'll suprise suprise, Reef Central's search is down... There are quite a few threads over there talking about that type of spray paint on PVC. Sorry I couldn't get one for you right now... If you want though keep an eye on the DIY forum there, I'm sure there will be a thread up eventually.

I've even used simple No Name Acrylic spray paint in freshwater... It wasn't toxic but it didn't stick long term either. Fishing little black flecks out of the tank was not fun ;).

Chris