dying frog:(

May 9, 2005
West Haven, CT
Hello,
Just got 2 new ADF's. Unfortunately one is dying:( I have to bring it to the pet store for refund reasons with a water sample. (I barely knew it was alive except that when I wiggle the heck out of the cup I put it in, it will move ever so slightly- so I think it is beyond saving.)

However I am wondering if it could have been contagious with something? It was lethargic, didn't eat, hid under a rock, and now the eyes are completely glazed (why I thought for sure it was dead), and the skin is reddish, like blood under it.

I just did a water change this weekend in my established tank, so I am assuming my conditions are ok for ammo, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. I don't test the other stuff. temp 78.

The pet store is testing for stuff like high ammonia and basic water conditions, right? I am stranded without a car, unless my husband's is driveable, so I am just trying to guess what is going on with the frog myself. Low stress frog situation, since I am not attached and it looks hopeless.

Thanks for any pondering you join me in:)

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Do you know that they shed?? This could be what he is doing. They dont eat during this time and they hide cause they cant see. Do you have a digital camera do you think that you could get a picture of him??

May 9, 2005
West Haven, CT
No it's not shedding. I am pretty familiar with keeping frogs and this one was pretty much a goner. well it is at the pet store now. They said it was probably an infection, and yes they were only using the water to check ammonia. They could have had me do that! anyway, got a new buddy, acclimating it now.

SO while there found out that they may have had a pregnant frog or two in the batch and I could possibly have one. It is huge!! Anyone have any tadpole adf experience? I have to go back an refresh your frog article in my mind in relation to breeding, LEO. I'll have to look into digging up a little tank for it. I thought they were just over fed.

PS can I access your ADF article if AC is down, LEO? If not, do you have an alternate link/url